Derivatives and Inverse Trigonometry

In summary, the problem is that you substituted the inverse trigonometric function into the equation and forgot to multiply by the inverse trigonometric function. This caused the first derivative to be incorrect.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_14.jpg

For 1a, using inverse trigonometric derivative identities should work, right?

I got y' = 1/sinØ + 1/cosØ and multiplied by the common denominator to get.

y' = (cosØ+sinØ)/sinØcosØ

As for 1b, I used the product rule and simplified to get:

y' = 3^x * ln3*ln(3x) + (3^x)/x + 3/x

Also, for 2, I'm a bit confused. I took the derivative and substituted x = $\pi$/2 to get 0 + $\pi$ = $\pi$

So y'($\pi$/2) = $\pi$ Does that look right?

As for the second derivative, I got
y''=16+ 4$\pi$/3

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1a, you didn't use the chain rule correctly. You did f'(g(x)), but didn't multiply by g'(x).
The next two are correct.
But \(\displaystyle y''(\frac{\pi}{6}) \) is wrong. How did you do it? Can you show steps?

jacobi said:
For 1a, you didn't use the chain rule correctly. You did f'(g(x)), but didn't multiply by g'(x).
The next two are correct.
But \(\displaystyle y''(\frac{\pi}{6}) \) is wrong. How did you do it? Can you show steps?
Oh, so there should be a coso and sino in the nominator, right?

In that case, after simplifying, I obtained 1-1=0. Is that correct?

Also, for the last part of question 2, I don't see how I could have gotten it wrong unless f''(x) is wrong. I got f''(x) = 2sec^2(2x) + 2sec^2(2x) + 8xsec(2x)cos(2x)

Yes, there should be a cos and sin in the numerator. Your second derivative is wrong, can you show your steps?

The first derivative is \(\displaystyle f'(x) = \tan\left({2x}\right) +2x\sec^2\left({2x}\right) \)

After simplifying, you should obtain a constant...but not zero. Could you show all your steps for the inverse trig derivative?

Rido12 said:
Yes, there should be a cos and sin in the numerator. Your second derivative is wrong, can you show your steps?

The first derivative is \(\displaystyle f'(x) = \tan\left({2x}\right) +2x\sec^2\left({2x}\right) \)

I did it again and got (48+16√3*$\pi$)/3

I simply took the derivative of tan(2x)+2xsec^2 (2x) and computed:

f''(x) = 2sec^2(2x) + 2sec^2(2x) + 8xsec^2(2x)tan(2x)

Thus,

f''(x) = 2sec^2($\pi$/3) + 2sec^2($\pi$/3) + 4$\pi$/3 * sec^2($\pi$/3)tan($\pi$/3)

Yup, this answer right now is correct. (Star)

jacobi said:
After simplifying, you should obtain a constant...but not zero. Could you show all your steps for the inverse trig derivative?

Because:

y = sin^-1(cos$\theta$) + cos^-1(sin$\theta$)

Thus,

y' = 1/(√1-cos^2($\theta$)) * (sin$\theta$) - 1/ (√1-sin^2($\theta$)) * cos$\theta$

Thus, knowing that sin^2($\theta$) + cos^2($\theta$) = 1, we know that:

y' = cos($\theta$)/cos($\theta$) - sin($\theta$)/sin($\theta$)

y' = 0.

Where did I go wrong?

Your chain rule for \(\displaystyle \sin^{-1}\left({\cos\left({x}\right)}\right)\) is incorrect. What is the derivative of $\cos\left({x}\right)$?

Rido12 said:
Your chain rule for \(\displaystyle \sin^{-1}\left({\cos\left({x}\right)}\right)\) is incorrect. What is the derivative of $\cos\left({x}\right)$?

It should be -sinx.

So is the answer -1-1= -2?

That appears to be correct. Glad you found your mistake :D

Related to Derivatives and Inverse Trigonometry

What are derivatives and inverse trigonometry?

Derivatives and inverse trigonometry are two important concepts in calculus and trigonometry, respectively. Derivatives involve finding the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point, while inverse trigonometry deals with finding the angle or side lengths of a triangle when given its trigonometric ratios.

How are derivatives and inverse trigonometry related?

Derivatives and inverse trigonometry are related in that the derivative of a trigonometric function is its inverse function. This means that taking the derivative of a trigonometric function will give you its inverse trigonometric function, and vice versa.

What are some common applications of derivatives?

Some common applications of derivatives include finding maximum and minimum values of a function, determining the slope of a tangent line, and solving optimization problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the main inverse trigonometric functions?

The main inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine (sin-1), arccosine (cos-1), and arctangent (tan-1). These functions are used to find the angle measures of a triangle when given its trigonometric ratios.

How can I use inverse trigonometry to solve real-world problems?

Inverse trigonometry can be used to solve real-world problems involving right triangles. For example, it can be used to find the height of a building or the distance between two objects based on their angles of elevation or depression. It is also used in navigation and surveying to determine the location and distance of objects.