Derivative word problem. Tricky

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the point P on the curve y = x3 - 8x, where if the spaceship shuts off its engines, it can continue along the tangent at P and reach the point (4,0). The conversation involves using equations and the slope of the tangent to solve for P.
phil ess

Homework Statement

A spaceship moves along y = x3 - 8x in the positive x-direction. Shutting off the engines at P allows it to move off along the tangent at P. Find P so that the ship can reach the point (4,0).

Homework Equations

Dunno

The Attempt at a Solution

So I start with P = (x1,y1). The slope of the tangent is then m = 3x12 - 8 from the first derivative.

Then I need P, so I went like this:

m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) = 3x12 - 8 where y2 and x2 are (4,0).

But now I have 1 Eqn. and 2 variables so I can't solve. I was thinking of using y = mx + b because I have y and x, plus an equation for m but then I end up with 2 equations and 3 variables because of the b term. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, [itex]m= 3x_1^2- 8[/itex] and you know, I presume, that a straight line (except vertical) can be written y= m(x-a)+ b where m is the slope and (a, b) is a point on the line. What is the equation of the line with slope [itex]3x_1^2- 8[/itex] through (4, 0)?
You want that straight line to touch the graph when x= x1 so set the two equations, for the cubic and for the straight line equal and set x= x1. Solve for x1.

Ok! I got it! Thanks a bunch

Related to Derivative word problem. Tricky

1. What is a derivative word problem?

A derivative word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point or for a given interval. This is done by using the derivative, which is a mathematical tool that measures the instantaneous rate of change of a function.

2. How do I solve a derivative word problem?

To solve a derivative word problem, you need to first identify the function and the given information. Then, you can use the derivative rules to find the derivative of the function. Once you have the derivative, you can substitute the given values to find the rate of change at a specific point or for a given interval.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a derivative word problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a derivative word problem include forgetting to use the chain rule, mixing up the power rule with the quotient rule, and not simplifying the final answer. It is also important to pay attention to the units and ensure they are consistent throughout the problem.

4. Are there any tips for solving tricky derivative word problems?

One tip for solving tricky derivative word problems is to break down the problem into smaller parts and use the derivative rules step by step. It can also be helpful to draw a graph of the function to visualize the problem and identify any critical points. Additionally, practicing with different types of problems can improve your problem-solving skills.

5. How can I check my answer for a derivative word problem?

You can check your answer for a derivative word problem by taking the derivative of your solution and comparing it to the original function. If the two are equal, then your answer is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the original function and the derivative to visually see if they match.