Derivative of Composite Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the function h = f ∘ g and using the chain rule to find its derivative. The function h is given as a piecewise formula and can also be rewritten as two separate pieces based on the sign of x. The chain rule can then be applied to each piece to find the derivative of h.
Kenji Liew

Homework Statement

\begin{equation}
f(x)=
\begin{cases}
5x+2 &, x \leq 1 \\
3x^2 &, 1<x<2\\
4-x &, x\geq 2
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
g(x)=
\begin{cases}
\frac{1}{5}(2+3 cos x) &, x <0 \\
4-sin x &, x \geq 0
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

Find [itex] h = f \circ g [/itex] and then by using chain rule to find the derivative of [itex] f \circ g [/itex] .

Homework Equations

\begin{equation}
h(x)=f\circ g =
\begin{cases}
4+3 cos x &, x <0 \\
sin x &, x \geq 0
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

From [itex] h(x) = f \circ g [/itex] above, I directly differentiate and I get the following
\begin{equation}
h'(x)=
\begin{cases}
-3 sin x &, x < 0 \\
cos x &, x > 0
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

If chain rule are requested in finding the derivative, I know the formula is [itex] h'(x) = f' (g(x)) \cdot g'(x) [/itex]. Any idea to find the derivative using chain rule?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kenji Liew said:

Homework Statement

\begin{equation}
f(x)=
\begin{cases}
5x+2 &, x \leq 1 \\
3x^2 &, 1<x<2\\
4-x &, x\geq 2
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
g(x)=
\begin{cases}
\frac{1}{5}(2+3 cos x) &, x <0 \\
4-sin x &, x \geq 0
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

Find [itex] h = f \circ g [/itex] and then by using chain rule to find the derivative of [itex] f \circ g [/itex] .

Homework Equations

\begin{equation}
h(x)=f\circ g =
\begin{cases}
4+3 cos x &, x <0 \\
sin x &, x \geq 0
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

From [itex] h(x) = f \circ g [/itex] above, I directly differentiate and I get the following
\begin{equation}
h'(x)=
\begin{cases}
-3 sin x &, x < 0 \\
cos x &, x > 0
\end{cases}
\end{equation}

If chain rule are requested in finding the derivative, I know the formula is [itex] h'(x) = f' (g(x)) \cdot g'(x) [/itex]. Any idea to find the derivative using chain rule?

Thank you.

It seems overly pedantic to do it explicitly with the chain rule, but if you must do so, just write h(x) as a two piece formula like this:

If x ≥ 0, f(x) = 4-x, g(x) = 4 - sin(x) and [itex]h=f\circ g[/itex]
If x < 0 f(x) = 5x+2, g(x) = (1/5)(2+3cos(x)) and [itex]h=f\circ g[/itex]
Then do the chain rule on each piece.

LCKurtz said:
It seems overly pedantic to do it explicitly with the chain rule, but if you must do so, just write h(x) as a two piece formula like this:

If x ≥ 0, f(x) = 4-x, g(x) = 4 - sin(x) and [itex]h=f\circ g[/itex]
If x < 0 f(x) = 5x+2, g(x) = (1/5)(2+3cos(x)) and [itex]h=f\circ g[/itex]
Then do the chain rule on each piece.

Thank you for the reply. I got the idea from it. This is because my lecturer want us to compare whether the answer obtained from directly differentiate [itex]h(x)[/itex] is the same
as the answer obtained from the chain rule. :smile:

Related to Derivative of Composite Function

1. What is the definition of a derivative of a composite function?

The derivative of a composite function is the rate of change of the outer function with respect to the inner function, multiplied by the rate of change of the inner function with respect to the independent variable.

2. How do you find the derivative of a composite function using the chain rule?

To find the derivative of a composite function using the chain rule, first identify the inner and outer functions. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Finally, substitute the inner function into the derivative of the outer function to get the final answer.

3. Can the chain rule be used for any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for any composite function, as long as the outer and inner functions are differentiable.

4. How does the chain rule apply to functions with multiple variables?

The chain rule can be extended to functions with multiple variables by using partial derivatives. The derivative of a composite function with multiple variables is found by taking the partial derivative of the outer function with respect to each variable, multiplied by the partial derivative of the inner function with respect to the same variable.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule to find the derivative of a composite function?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the inner function, and not substituting the inner function into the derivative of the outer function. It's also important to remember the order of operations when using the chain rule.