Derivative of a definite integral

In summary, the problem is to find the derivative of x^2 multiplied by the integral of dt/(t-2t2) from x to -x^2+2x. The homework equations used are the definitions of derivative and integral. The attempt at a solution involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the derivative and handling the multiplier in front of the integral. The hint given is to use the fact that F'(t) = 1/(t-2t2).
CalculusHelp1

Homework Statement

The problem:

Find the derivative of

x2 multiplied by the integral of dt/(t-2t2) from x to -x2+2x

i.e, the function is x^2 times integral of [1/(t-2t^2)]dt from a to b with a being x and b being -x^2+2x

Homework Equations

Derivative and integral definitions

The Attempt at a Solution

Without the x^2 in front of the integral I think I can handle this question. I believe it would just be the function inside of the integral [1/(x-2x^x)] multiplied by -2x +2 (which is the derivative of the upper limit). Am I on the right track? If so, how do you handle the multiplier in front of the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The fundamental theorem of calculus tells you that

[tex]\int_x^{-x^2+2x} \frac{dt}{t-2t^2} = F(-x^2+2x)-F(x)[/tex]

where F'(t) = 1/(t-2t2).

Related to Derivative of a definite integral

What is the definition of derivative of a definite integral?

The derivative of a definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is found by taking the limit of the difference quotient of the definite integral as the interval approaches zero.

How is the derivative of a definite integral calculated?

To calculate the derivative of a definite integral, you first find the indefinite integral of the function. Then, you plug in the upper and lower limits of the definite integral into the indefinite integral and subtract the two values. Finally, you take the limit of this expression as the interval approaches zero.

Can the derivative of a definite integral be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a definite integral can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that specific point.

What does the derivative of a definite integral tell us?

The derivative of a definite integral tells us the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It can also be interpreted as the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How is the derivative of a definite integral used in real life?

The derivative of a definite integral is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It helps us understand how quickly a quantity is changing and can be used to optimize processes and make predictions. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the velocity of an object at a specific point in time.