Derivation of Torricelli's Law From Bernoulli's Equation

In summary, the authors discuss the derivation of Torricelli's theorem, which shows that the velocity of fluid coming out of an orifice is equal to the square root of twice the product of the gravitational acceleration and the distance from the orifice to the surface of the liquid. They also assume that the flow is parallel and straight, and that the acceleration of the fluid is only due to the pressure from above and below the infinitesimal particle. This is because the horizontal pressure has no effect on the acceleration, as it only affects the potential energy of the free surface. In other words, the horizontal pressure does not contribute to the kinetic energy of the fluid.
fobos3
I am reading through my fluid mechanics book and there is a derivation of Torricelli's theorem i.e. [itex]V = \sqrt{2gh}[/itex].

The author's pick the datum line at the middle of the jet and show that:
[itex]h = \dfrac{p}{\gamma} + \dfrac{V^2}{2g}[/itex]
where [itex]h[/itex] is the distance from the jet to the surface of the liquid.

The author's then assume that the streamlines are straight and parallel and say that the acceleration of the fluid is due only to the pressure from above and below the infinitesimal particle. Why is this so? Why doesn't the horizontal pressure have any effect on the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
fobos3 said:
I am reading through my fluid mechanics book and there is a derivation of Torricelli's theorem i.e. [itex]V = \sqrt{2gh}[/itex].

The author's pick the datum line at the middle of the jet and show that:
[itex]h = \dfrac{p}{\gamma} + \dfrac{V^2}{2g}[/itex]
where [itex]h[/itex] is the distance from the jet to the surface of the liquid.

The author's then assume that the streamlines are straight and parallel and say that the acceleration of the fluid is due only to the pressure from above and below the infinitesimal particle. Why is this so? Why doesn't the horizontal pressure have any effect on the acceleration?

So you need derivation , that's all huh ? I am giving that right away. :wink:

Let P be the atmospheric pressure , ρ be the density of liquid and v be the velocity of fluid coming out of orifice of a container. Depth of orifice from free surface is h and total depth till bottom is H. Pressure of liquid at free surface and orifice is atmospheric and has nothing to do with horizontal velocity coming out of orifice. Liquid coming out has both kinetic energy and potential energy while liquid at free surface has only potential energy.

According to Bernoulli's theorem , sum of pressure and total energy per unit volume at surface and every point of orifice is constant.

p+0+ρgH = P+ρv2/2 + ρg(H-h)
Since potential energy of free surface has to convert to kinetic energy of motion.

ρgH = ρv2/2

Now solve for v.

Likes Dr.Physics

Related to Derivation of Torricelli's Law From Bernoulli's Equation

1. What is Torricelli's Law?

Torricelli's Law is a principle in fluid dynamics that relates the velocity of a fluid to its height. It states that the velocity of a fluid exiting a container is equal to the square root of twice the acceleration due to gravity times the height of the fluid.

2. What is Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa.

3. How is Torricelli's Law derived from Bernoulli's Equation?

Torricelli's Law can be derived from Bernoulli's Equation by considering a fluid in a container with a small opening at the bottom. By equating the pressure at the surface of the fluid to the pressure at the opening, and using the continuity equation, we can obtain Torricelli's Law.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving Torricelli's Law?

The assumptions made in deriving Torricelli's Law include: incompressible fluid, steady flow, no viscosity, and no external forces acting on the fluid other than gravity.

5. What are the practical applications of Torricelli's Law?

Torricelli's Law has various practical applications in industries such as hydraulics, meteorology, and engineering. It is used to calculate the flow rate of fluids in pipes, the speed of air in ventilation systems, and the velocity of water in channels and rivers.