Derivation of the Fourier series of a real signal

In summary: He included the 0 term in the series. Anyway I think I get it now. I will calculate ##A_k## and ##\phi_k## for k=0 separately. Is this correct?Yes, that's correct.
Granger

Homework Statement

Consider the Fourier series of a signal given by

$$x(t)=\sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} a_ke^{jk\omega_0t}$$

Let's consider an approaches to this series given by the truncated series.

$$x_N(t)=\sum_{k=-N}^{N} a_ke^{jk\omega_0t}$$

a- Show that if $x(t)$ is real then the series can be rewritten as

$$x_N(t)=\sum_{k=-N}^{N} A_k\cos(k\omega_0t +\phi_k)$$

b- How can we calculate $A_k$ and $\phi_k$ knowing $a_k$?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

Here goes my attempt:

So I first thought of putting together the k term and the (-k term). I have a doubt about how to get the expression of the series by doing this but I will clear it up after my proof.

We will have then:

$$a_ke^{jk\omega_0t} + a_{-k}e^{-jk\omega_0t}$$

Because x is real then $a_{-k}=a_k*$ where $a_k*$ is the conjugate of $a_k$.

We will have then

$$a_ke^{jk\omega_0t} + a_k*e^{-jk\omega_0t}$$
$$a_ke^{jk\omega_0t} + (a_k e^{jk\omega_0t})*$$
$$2 \operatorname{Re} (a_ke^{jk\omega_0t})$$

If we make $a_k = A_k e^{\phi_k}$ we will have:

$$2 \operatorname{Re} (A_ke^{j(k\omega_0t + \phi_k)})$$
$$2 A_k \cos(k\omega_0t + \phi_k)$$

Now my main doubt here is that factor of 2 and how it will affect the way I will express my calculations.

My first thought was: I reached this expression because I summed up two terms of the series. That means one term will be half what I calculates. Therefore, the series will be:

$$x_N(t)=\sum_{k=-N}^{N} A_k\cos(k\omega_0t +\phi_k)$$

Therefore, to answer question b I will just have to remember that $$a_k = A_k e^{\phi_k}$$ and so I will get to:

$$A_k = |a_k|$$
$$\phi_k = \arg(a_k)$$

But I'm not sure if this last few steps are correct, if my elimination of the 2 factor is correct. Or should I do:

$$x_N(t)=\sum_{k=-N}^{N} 2 A_k\cos(k\omega_0t +\phi_k)$$
$$x_N(t)=\sum_{k=-N}^{N} A'_k\cos(k\omega_0t +\phi_k)$$

and then
$$A'_k = |a_k|/2$$
$$\phi_k = \arg(a_k)$$

Can someone clarify this to me please? Which process is correct and why? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't say that a(k) and a (-k) are necessarily equal as a condition of proving it. Yes if they are equal, then it will be real valued, but is the converse always true? Perhaps you'd be better starting with the end result and working back towards what you start with.

scottdave said:
It doesn't say that a(k) and a (-k) are necessarily equal as a condition of proving it. Yes if they are equal, then it will be real valued, but is the converse always true? Perhaps you'd be better starting with the end result and working back towards what you start with.

But I never said that they were equal. I said one is equal to the conjugate of the other which is always true if the signal is real

You might find it easier to first rewrite the series as
$$\sum_{k=-N}^{k=N} a_k e^{j k\omega_0 t} = a_0 + \sum_{k=1}^{k=N} (a_k e^{j k\omega_0 t} + a_{-k} e^{-j k \omega_0 t})$$ to make dealing with the factor of 2 less confusing to you. Also, you can just pull the factor of 2 in right from the start: ##2a_k = A_k e^{j \phi_k}##.

vela said:
You might find it easier to first rewrite the series as
$$\sum_{k=-N}^{k=N} a_k e^{j k\omega_0 t} = a_0 + \sum_{k=1}^{k=N} (a_k e^{j k\omega_0 t} + a_{-k} e^{-j k \omega_0 t})$$ to make dealing with the factor of 2 less confusing to you. Also, you can just pull the factor of 2 in right from the start: ##2a_k = A_k e^{j \phi_k}##.

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

Ok rewriting the series like that makes things easier.
However I didn't quite understand your last suggestion, can you explain it again please?

What I thought to do was, using the rewritten series, I would get to

$$x(t) = a_0 + \sum_{k=1}^{k=N} 2A_k \cos (j k\omega_0 t + \phi_k)$$

Then, using the symmetry of the series between the negative and positive terms I would get to:

$$x(t) = \sum_{k=-N}^{k=N} A_k \cos (j k\omega_0 t + \phi_k)$$

And therefore I would use ##a_k = A_k e^{j \phi_k}## to calculate the values of ##A_k## and ##\phi_k##. Is this correct?

Oh, I didn't notice the limits on the final summation. Is it really from -N instead of from 0 or 1? Usually when you express it as a cosine series, you just have non-negative values for ##k##.

vela said:
Oh, I didn't notice the limits on the final summation. Is it really from -N instead of from 0 or 1? Usually when you express it as a cosine series, you just have non-negative values for ##k##.

Oh you're right it is from zero to N! I just realized that now. Now I realize what you meant on incorporating the 2 factor when defining ##A_k##. Then I can simply write the series as:

$$x(t) = a_0 + \sum_{k=1}^{k=N} A_k \cos ( k\omega_0 t + \phi_k)$$

$$x(t) = \sum_{k=0}^{k=N} A_k \cos (k\omega_0 t + \phi_k)$$

And therefore I would use ##2a_k = A_k e^{j \phi_k}## to calculate the values of ##A_k## and ##\phi_k##.

Is this correct now?

Last edited:
Well, you don't want ##j## in the argument of the cosine. Also, you should probably think about ##k=0## separately.

vela said:
Well, you don't want ##j## in the argument of the cosine. Also, you should probably think about ##k=0## separately.

Yes sorry that was a typo.
But is it incorrect to put k=0 inside the series?
Because that was what my professor did when he gave us the exercise.

Granger said:
Yes sorry that was a typo.
But is it incorrect to put k=0 inside the series?
Because that was what my professor did when he gave us the exercise.

Or do you think I should simply make A_0 = a_0 ?

Granger said:
Or do you think I should simply make A_0 = a_0 ?
Yes, that's probably simplest. Include the term in the summation but recognize that ##A_0## and ##a_0## aren't related in quite the same way as ##A_k## and ##a_k## are for ##k\ne 0##.

Likes Granger
Ok, thank you very much for your help!

Related to Derivation of the Fourier series of a real signal

1. What is the Fourier series of a real signal?

The Fourier series of a real signal is a way of representing a periodic signal as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is named after the French mathematician Joseph Fourier, who first introduced the concept in the early 19th century. This series is useful for analyzing and understanding the frequency components of a signal.

2. How is the Fourier series of a real signal derived?

The Fourier series of a real signal is derived using the Fourier transform, which decomposes a signal into its frequency components. The Fourier series is then obtained by representing the signal as an infinite sum of sinusoidal functions with different amplitudes and frequencies.

3. What are the applications of the Fourier series of a real signal?

The Fourier series of a real signal has many applications in various fields such as signal processing, telecommunications, and physics. It is used to analyze and filter signals, as well as to solve differential equations and boundary value problems in physics and engineering.

4. Can the Fourier series of a real signal be used for non-periodic signals?

No, the Fourier series of a real signal is only applicable for periodic signals. For non-periodic signals, the Fourier transform is used to obtain a continuous spectrum representation instead of a discrete series.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fourier series of a real signal?

Yes, the Fourier series has some limitations. It can only be applied to signals that are periodic and have a finite energy. Additionally, the series may not converge for certain types of signals, such as discontinuous or non-differentiable signals.