Derivation of relativistic momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving the equation p = ymv and the kinetic energy formula in one dimension without using 4-vectors or 2-dimensional collisions. The paper and website mentioned are both potential sources for understanding the derivation. The conversation also touches on the idea of using Hamilton-Jacobi mathematics and Taylor series to further derive equations in 3-vectors and the relativistic energy equation.
albertrichardf
Hi all,
Is it possible to derive the equation p = ymv, and hence based on this, kinetic energy formula, without referring to 4-vectors or 2-dimensional collisions, that is derive it in one dimension?
I tried this website/pdf but the mathematics is beyond my understanding. So could some one either explain the pdf, or derive the equation themselves?
Thanks.
Here is the link:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0402024.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible to derive the equation p = ymv, and hence based on this, kinetic energy formula, without referring to 4-vectors or 2-dimensional collisions, that is derive it in one dimension?
... yes - sort of.

You start by showing that p=mv is not conserved in all reference frames.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Special_Relativity:_Dynamics

Note: in 1D, the 4-vector just has a zero in each of the unused positions.

Likes 1 person
Albertrichardf said:

Since the derivation in the paper you linked to looks valid, I would say yes. :wink:

Albertrichardf said:
I tried this website/pdf but the mathematics is beyond my understanding. So could some one either explain the pdf, or derive the equation themselves?

Can you be a bit more specific about what in the pdf you are unable to understand?

i don't get the mathematical processes from equation 3.6 and 3.7.

Hi Albertrichardf,

In addition to the paper you referred to, Louis De Broglie derived that (and other formulas expressed in 3-vectors) using Hamilton-Jacobi mathematics. It's possible to go still further and derive the relativistic energy equation and all of its variations.

Albertrichardf said:
i don't get the mathematical processes from equation 3.6 and 3.7.

It's just a taylor series.

Basically the idea is that you can approximate a function near a point by a straight line

If you have f(x) and you want to approximate it near some value "a", the first 2 terms of the series are

f(a) + (df/dx)*(x-a)

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

Likes 1 person

Related to Derivation of relativistic momentum

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on an object's momentum. It is a measure of an object's motion in relation to an observer, and is calculated using the formula p = mv/√(1-v²/c²), where p is the relativistic momentum, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is relativistic momentum derived?

Relativistic momentum is derived by incorporating the principles of special relativity into the classical formula for momentum, p = mv. This is done by considering the effects of time dilation and length contraction on an object's mass and velocity at high speeds.

3. What is the difference between relativistic and classical momentum?

The main difference between relativistic and classical momentum is that relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's mass and velocity. In contrast, classical momentum only considers an object's mass and velocity in relation to an observer.

4. Why is relativistic momentum important?

Relativistic momentum is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in particle accelerators or spacecraft traveling near the speed of light. It also helps to reconcile the discrepancies between classical and relativistic mechanics.

5. What are some real-life applications of relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to extremely high speeds. It is also important in the field of astrophysics, where it is used to describe the motion of objects in space, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. Additionally, relativistic momentum plays a role in the design of high-speed transportation systems, such as trains and airplanes.