Derivation of Gott's formula for size of observable universe

In summary, Gott derived a formula for calculating the size of the observable universe, and the value of the diameter based on current obsrvations is 93 Gly.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I understand that Gott derived a formula for calculating the size of the observable universe, and the value of the diameter based on current obsrvations is 93 Gly. Can someone please show the mathematical derivation of Gott's formula, or give a reference to a source which shows this derivation?

Space news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
I understand that Gott derived a formula for calculating the size of the observable universe
Unless you're talking about a different Gott than the J.R. Gott of Princeton, then I don't think it's fair to say he 'derived' anything of the sort, as the equations are something like a century old.

In fact, you're probably thinking about this paper of his:
'A map of the universe' J.R.Gott et al. 2005
In which he (among other things) uses the Friedmann equations (equations 4&5) and observational parameters for the Hubble constant, densities and curvature collected by WMAP to arrive at the observable universe proper radius by the equation 11.
That's not his invention, though. It's a standard treatment to be found in any cosmology textbook, but with then-fresh numbers to plug into the equations.

If that's all new to you, then you might find the recent series of PF Insights articles written by Jorrie to be of some use: 'Approximate LCDM Expansion in Simplified Math'. The distances and horizons are covered in parts 2 and 3. Although you'll probably want to read it all anyway.
The only downside of those, IMO, is that they use some non-standard units that might confuse you if you've read anything else and don't pay attention to what's being done.

Hi Bandersnatch:

My appologies. I need to take better notes on the internet pages I find that lead me astray. I cannot now find the page I was previously looking at that was discussing the observable universe size and connected that with "Gott's formula".

Thanks for the link to "A Map of the Universe". From a quick scan it seems to have what I was looking for

Hi George:

Thank you for posting the formula for Dhorizon. It is a useful part of what I was looking for. The rest of what I was looking for is how this formula is derived, and the "A Map of the Universe" article seems to have that.

Thanks for both your posts,
Buzz

Hi George:

I looked through your "Redshift-Distance Relationhship" you cited paper and found in Section 5 the derivation I wanted based on the FLRW metric simplified for radial motion along comoving cooridnates. With this understanding, I now have a new question about the horizon problem I will ask in a separate thread.

Thanks again for your post,
Buzz

Related to Derivation of Gott's formula for size of observable universe

1. What is Gott's formula for the size of the observable universe?

Gott's formula is a mathematical equation developed by astrophysicist J. Richard Gott to estimate the size of the observable universe. It states that the size of the observable universe is equal to the product of the age of the universe and the speed of light.

2. How accurate is Gott's formula?

Gott's formula provides a rough estimate for the size of the observable universe. It is accurate within a factor of 2, meaning that the actual size of the observable universe could be twice as large or half as small as the estimated value.

3. How does Gott's formula take into account the expansion of the universe?

Gott's formula takes into account the expansion of the universe by using the age of the universe as a factor. As the universe expands, the age of the universe increases, resulting in a larger estimated size of the observable universe.

4. Can Gott's formula be used to calculate the size of the entire universe?

No, Gott's formula is only applicable for estimating the size of the observable universe. The size of the entire universe is unknown and cannot be accurately calculated at this time.

5. How was Gott's formula derived?

Gott's formula was derived using Einstein's theory of relativity and the concept of the observable universe. It takes into account the finite speed of light and the age of the universe to estimate its size.