Derivation of EoM for two interconnected rigid bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses a project to design a controller for a rocket by using a movable mass to shift the center of mass. The necessary equations of motion and knowledge of angular momentum are brought up, as well as the idea of using state space to design the controller. The possibility of using a thrust vectoring method is also mentioned, but it may not be ideal for stability. References on rocket engines and thrust vectoring are provided for further insight.
RubinLicht
I set a small project for myself to design a controller for a rocket, which moves a mass around to shift the center of mass, in order to steer a rocket.

The picture shows a simplified model of a rocket plus a movable mass. , shown is a rod for the rocket, and a mass for the controller. there is a fixed thrust at the back of the rocket. (which I may change into a control parameter later in the project)

What do I need to know in order to go about writing down the equations of motion for this system? Do I need to know some more hardcore angular momentum (tensor of inertia, precession), or is basic fixed axis angular momentum enough? are there any chapters of textbooks that come to mind that contain the necessary topics I need to put this all in state space so I can design the controller? Any books that are just about deriving physical models of things in general?

Thanks

Attachments

• rocket.jpg
    rocket.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 416
Engineering news on Phys.org
I found this article on rocket engines (see page 4 and beyond) This describes a rocket that consumes its fuel and gets lighter but it might give you some insight into your problem.

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronau...fall-2009/lecture-notes/MIT16_07F09_Lec14.pdf

and here's a wikipedia article on thrust vectoring showing the center of mass and the torque that occurs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_vectoring

Some references I saw said its best to keep the center of mass high on a rocket for stability so maybe shifting the center of mass around isn't a good idea as the rocket may flip. They tend to use fins to steer.

Related to Derivation of EoM for two interconnected rigid bodies

1. What are the assumptions made when deriving the equations of motion for two interconnected rigid bodies?

The main assumptions made are that the bodies are rigid, there are no external forces acting on the system, and the motion is planar (in a single plane).

2. How are the equations of motion derived for two interconnected rigid bodies?

The equations of motion are derived using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on a body is equal to its mass times its acceleration. The forces and accelerations are obtained by considering the constraints and kinematic relationships between the two bodies.

3. Can the equations of motion be applied to any system of interconnected rigid bodies?

Yes, the equations of motion can be applied to any system of interconnected rigid bodies as long as the assumptions are satisfied and the constraints and kinematic relationships between the bodies are known.

4. How can the equations of motion be used to predict the motion of the interconnected bodies?

The equations of motion can be solved for the unknown accelerations, which can then be used to calculate the velocities and positions of the bodies at any given time. This allows for the prediction of the motion of the interconnected bodies.

5. Are there any limitations to the equations of motion for two interconnected rigid bodies?

Yes, there are limitations such as the assumption of rigid bodies, which may not be true in all cases. Additionally, the equations may not be applicable to systems with non-conservative forces or non-planar motion.