Derivation of E=mc^2 in Wikipedia

In summary, the relativistic kinetic energy of a rigid body at speed v is equal to: E_k = m\gamma c^2 - m c^2 E_r = E_m = E_t - E_k = (m\gamma c^2) - (m\gamma c^2 - m c^2) = m c^2.
birulami
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy#Relativistic_kinetic_energy_of_rigid_bodies" derives the kinetic energy of a rigid body at relativistic speed to be

[tex]E_k = m\gamma c^2 - m c^2[/tex]​

The continue to say:
The mathematical by-product of this calculation is the mass-energy equivalence formula—the body at rest must have energy content equal to: [itex] E_{rest}=m c^2[/itex]

Can anybody explain this reasoning? Just because the zero value of the kinetic energy at zero speed has the representation [itex]x - x[/itex] does not mean that the rest energy must be [itex]x[/itex], right? Or is that the reasoning?

Thanks,
Harald.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reasoning is just that the energy required to accelerate a particle from 0 to v is equal to the change in the quantity [itex]\gamma m c^2[/itex], so it makes sense to think of that quantity as representing a kind of energy.

I think you have to look at conservation of four-momentum to really justify the equivalence between mass and energy.

There's an important distinction here; Wikipedia calculates the kinetic energy as what you listed above, however, the rest energy is not the kinetic energy, obviously, because the kinetic energy is obviously zero when v = 0.

So what they mean is that
[tex]E_t = E_k + E_m = m\gamma c^2 - m c^2 + m c^2 = m\gamma c^2[/tex]

Or, equivalently,

[tex]E_r = E_m = E_t - E_k = (m\gamma c^2) - (m\gamma c^2 - m c^2) = m c^2[/tex]Where [tex]E_m[/tex] is the mass energy, [tex]E_t[/tex] is the total energy, and [tex]E_r[/tex] is the rest energy.

Sorry if that was confusing.

Don't worry, this is not confusing. But it somehow gets me where I started. I was after a simple derivation for E=mc^2, found a link to Wikipedia and now I am back with [itex]E_t=m\gamma c^2[/itex] asking where this comes. Hmm, yes, trivially it is [itex]E_t = E_k + E_m[/itex]:rolleyes: So I need to look closer to other recommendations in this other thread, I am afraid.

Thanks,
Harald.

Related to Derivation of E=mc^2 in Wikipedia

1. What is the significance of the equation E=mc^2?

The equation E=mc^2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, is one of the most famous equations in physics. It states that energy (E) and mass (m) are two forms of the same thing and are interchangeable. This equation revolutionized our understanding of the relationship between matter and energy and is a cornerstone of modern physics.

2. Who is credited with deriving the equation E=mc^2?

The equation E=mc^2 was derived by Albert Einstein in 1905 in his paper "Does the Inertia of a Body Depend Upon Its Energy Content?" This paper introduced the special theory of relativity and presented the concept of mass-energy equivalence.

3. How was the equation E=mc^2 derived?

In order to derive the equation E=mc^2, Einstein used the principles of special relativity and the concept of the constancy of the speed of light. He also made use of the famous equation for kinetic energy, E=1/2mv^2. By combining these ideas and equations, he was able to arrive at the equation E=mc^2.

4. Is E=mc^2 always true?

Yes, E=mc^2 is always true. This equation is a fundamental law of nature and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. However, it is important to note that this equation is only applicable in certain situations, such as when objects are moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

5. What are the practical applications of E=mc^2?

The equation E=mc^2 has many practical applications in various fields. One of the most well-known applications is in nuclear energy, where a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy in nuclear reactions. This equation also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in accelerators and in the development of nuclear weapons. Additionally, it has applications in space exploration and in the development of new technologies such as nuclear medicine.