Derivation of Del Operator in Spherical & Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Del and its use in different coordinate systems. It is used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering, with a focus on electromagnetics. The person asking for help is directed to check out Mary Boas' textbook or other math methods books for more information and examples.
dexterdev
Hi all,
Del = i ∂/∂x + j ∂/∂y + k ∂/∂z

in x y z cordinate

similarly I require to see the derivation of del in other coordinates too. Please give me a link for the derivation.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey dexterdev.

This subject is treated in co-ordinate free representations in a subject known as Tensor Algebra or Co-ordinate Invariant Calculus.

There are different viewpoints which range from the purely mathematical to the purely applied.

Some areas that study this are pure mathematics, physics (particular with general relativity), and engineering (particularly fluid and non-rigid body mechanics, statics, and dynamics).

What kind of treatment is closest to your needs?

Sir , what I require is for electromagnetics (using vector calculus)

Try Mary Boas. Great treatment there.

I don't have that book...:rolleyes:

Related to Derivation of Del Operator in Spherical & Cylindrical Coordinates

1. What is the del operator in spherical and cylindrical coordinates?

The del operator is a mathematical operator used in vector calculus to represent the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field. In spherical coordinates, it is denoted as ∇ and in cylindrical coordinates, it is represented as ∇⊥. It is also known as the nabla operator or vector differential operator.

2. How is the del operator derived in spherical coordinates?

The del operator in spherical coordinates is derived by considering the coordinate system as a transformation of Cartesian coordinates. This transformation involves the use of the Jacobian matrix and the chain rule. The resulting expression for the del operator in spherical coordinates is ∇ = ∂/∂r er + 1/r ∂/∂θ eθ + 1/(r sinθ) ∂/∂ϕ eϕ, where er, eθ, and eϕ are the unit vectors in the radial, azimuthal, and polar directions respectively.

3. How is the del operator derived in cylindrical coordinates?

The del operator in cylindrical coordinates is derived using a similar approach as in spherical coordinates. The resulting expression for the del operator in cylindrical coordinates is ∇ = ∂/∂ρ eρ + 1/ρ ∂/∂φ eφ + ∂/∂z ez, where eρ, eφ, and ez are the unit vectors in the radial, azimuthal, and axial directions respectively.

4. What is the significance of the del operator in physics?

The del operator is an important mathematical tool used in various fields of physics, particularly in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior of vector fields, such as electric and magnetic fields, and to solve differential equations in these fields. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of Maxwell's equations and the Navier-Stokes equations.

5. Can the del operator be applied to other coordinate systems?

Yes, the del operator can be applied to any orthogonal coordinate system. In fact, the del operator can be expressed in terms of any set of coordinate vectors. For example, in curvilinear coordinates, the del operator can be written as ∇ = ∑i=1n e_i ∂/∂xi, where e_i are the unit vectors in the coordinate directions and n is the number of coordinates. Therefore, the del operator is a general mathematical tool that can be applied to different coordinate systems in various areas of science and engineering.