Derivation of a cinematic formula

In summary, the ball stops bouncing after a brief time and the time it takes to bounce to the next impact is based on a geometric series.
sitzpillow
I'm really happy about every hint!

Homework Statement

There is a ball on hight h which is dropped on a table.
With every Impact the ball loses velocity v by a factor a<1.
I Need to Show the following:
The time T after the ball stopps bouncing is:
[tex] T = \frac{1+a}{1-a} (\frac{2h}{g})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

There is a hint to start to calculate the time t_k between the takeoff and the next Impact
and that I should use the geometric series.
We don't need to think about air resistance.

2. The attempt at a solution
My Problem is that if I calculate t_k, I don't include the first time t_0 when the ball gets dropped.
[tex] t_k = 2\frac{h_k}{v_k}=2\frac{h_k}{a^k v_0}=a^{-k} (\frac{2h_k}{\sqrt{(2 h_0 g)}}) = a^{-k} (\sqrt{(\frac{4h_k^2}{2 h_0 g}}) [/tex]
with [tex] v=\sqrt{2gh}[/tex] which I got from E_pot=E_kin.
But now I can't shorten h_0 with h_k and a^-k <1 so I can't use the geometric series?!
Is it wrong to use v=s/t ⇔t=s/v since we have a accelarated movement.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes its wrong to use that. You should take instead [itex]t_k=2\frac{v_k}{g}, k\geq 1[/itex], [itex]t_0=\sqrt\frac{2h}{g}[/itex].

Last edited:
How does the v_k looks like?
[itex] t_k=2 \frac{a^k v_0}{g} = 2 a^k \frac{\sqrt{2gh}}{g}= 2 a^k \sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}} [/itex] ?
What's next?

Next is geometric series of ##t_k##. ##T=t_0+\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty}t_k=\sqrt\frac{2h}{g}+\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty}t_k##. Notice that the actual ##t_0## is half of what you get from the formula of ##t_k## for k=0(because we drop the ball from above the table), that's why i put it outside the summation which summation is done from k=1 for this reason.

or you can do the series from k=0 but then subtract ##\sqrt\frac{2h}{g}##.

Last edited:
Thank you. To finish that threat I conclude:

t_k means the time between the k and k+1 impact.

for t_0
we get
[tex]t_0=\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/tex] with [tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

for t_k with k>0
[tex]\Sigma{t_k}=\Sigma_1^n{2 \frac{a^k v_0}{g}}=\Sigma_0^n{2 \frac{a^k v_0}{g}}-\frac{2v_0}{g}[/tex]
now we let n go to infinity and use the geometric series:
[tex]\Sigma_{n=0}^{\infty}{t_k}=\Sigma_{n=0}^{\infty}{2 \frac{a^k v_0}{g}}-\frac{2v_0}{g}=2\frac{v_0}{g}(\frac{1}{1-a}-1)=\frac{v_0}{g}\frac{2a}{1-a}=\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}\frac{2a}{1-a}[/tex]
by using [tex]E_{kin}=E_{pot}[/tex]

Adding 1. plus 2. we get: [tex]\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}\frac{1+a}{1-a}[/tex]

There is a slightly easier way.
Consider the ball starting by rising from the ground at speed v. The time to first bounce is 2v/g. If the time to coming to rest is t(v) then t(v) = 2v/g + t(av). Guess a linear solution, t(v) = kv, and find that ##k=\frac{2}{g(1-a)}##. Then it is a matter of converting to the given initial conditions.

Related to Derivation of a cinematic formula

1. What is a cinematic formula?

A cinematic formula is a set of rules or guidelines that filmmakers follow to create a successful and engaging movie. It includes elements such as plot structure, character development, and visual storytelling techniques.

2. Why is the derivation of a cinematic formula important?

The derivation of a cinematic formula allows filmmakers to understand the underlying principles and techniques that make a movie successful. This knowledge can be used to create more effective and impactful films.

3. How is a cinematic formula derived?

A cinematic formula is derived through the study and analysis of successful movies. Filmmakers and film scholars examine patterns and techniques used in these films to identify common elements and develop a universal formula.

4. Can a cinematic formula be applied to all types of films?

While there are certain elements that can be applied to most films, a cinematic formula may not be applicable to all types of movies. Different genres and styles may require variations or adaptations of the formula to suit their specific needs.

5. Is the cinematic formula a rigid set of rules to follow?

No, the cinematic formula is not a strict set of rules, but rather a flexible framework that can be customized and adapted by filmmakers. It is meant to provide guidance and structure, but ultimately, creativity and individuality play a significant role in the success of a movie.