Depolarizing and source linewidths

• Thread starter lichen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Source
In summary: Yes, I can measure the Stokes vector with a polarimeter.The filter should be placed after the depolarizer in order to properly depolarize the light.
lichen
My question relates to fiber optics, and probably also general optics.

I have a broadband SLD source, which can be depolarized by a broadband fiber depolarizer. If I place a Fabry-Perot filter with low bandwidth between the source and depolarizer, I assume this reduces the linewidth going into the depolarizer and means the depolarizer has to be longer and more expensive to be able to handle this reduced linewidth of source.

What if a broadband depolarizer was used to depolarize the broadband source, and then the FP filter was placed after the depolarizer. Would the filtered light still be depolarized, or would this have the same effect as placing the filter before the broadband polarizer (i.e. the light would not be properly depolarized because the linewidth at the input is too low)?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Can anyone comment on this please?

The question is really, does placing an optical filter AFTER the depolariser, mean the depolariser doesn't have to handle such a low linewidth input?

Some additional detail would help- can you provide more information about fiber depolarizers? a manufacturer website would be fine. The only depolarizers I know of are things like rotating ground glass plates, which is bandwidth-independent (for all practical purposes).

As general comments go, I think FP devices are polarizing, because they work by interference.

Thanks for replying Andy.

The depolarizer I had in mind was http://www.phoenix-photonics.com/products/polarizers_depolarizers/Depolarizers_V12_1102.shtml by Phoenix Photonics, since it operates over 1300nm and 1550nm regimes.

They say the device can depolarize down to 0.1nm linewidth. If I place my scanning filter (0.04nm bandwidth) before the depolarizer, clearly it will not be able to depolarise the light properly due to the long coherence length of the filtered light.

However, I would like to know if it would be possible to use the following sequence: Source (>0.1 nm) -> depolarizer -> filter.

The problem may be that by filtering light to 0.04nm linewidth after the depolariser, I am still somehow reducing the linewidth of the chain down to <0.1nm. This is what I am unsure of.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I know, Lyot depolarizers are only useful for broadband light. They are static devices with a (spectrally) periodic change in output polarization state- the depolarizing aspect comes from superposition over wavelength.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=01072136

My suspicion is that by spectrally filtering the light prior to the depolarizer, you decrease the efficiency of depolarization, although I can't say by how much (perhaps the manufacturer can). I don't exactly follow your last sentence- what are you ultimately trying to accomplish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically I am asking, what if I spectrally filtered after the depolariser instead of before?

The answer may be the apparently obvious: that everything would work fine.

But the answer may also be: that is the same as filtering before the depolariser, and your filtered light will ultimately not be depolarised properly.

If it is the latter, I cannot use the 0.1 nm depolariser in my system.

It's an interesting problem, because you are balancing two competing effects- a narrow bandwidth (which is a high temporal coherence) and a low state of polarization (which requires low temporal coherence). Just to use round numbers, 0.05 nm bandwidth centered at 1500 nm gives a coherence length of 4.5 cm... not as coherent as I thought, actually.

I would put the filter after the depolarizer. Can you measure the Stokes vector?

Related to Depolarizing and source linewidths

1. What is the difference between depolarizing and source linewidths?

Depolarizing linewidth refers to the broadening of the spectral line due to interactions between particles in a medium, while source linewidth refers to the natural broadening of a spectral line emitted by an isolated atom or molecule.

2. How do depolarizing and source linewidths affect spectroscopy measurements?

Depolarizing and source linewidths can affect the accuracy and precision of spectroscopy measurements by broadening the spectral lines and making it difficult to distinguish between different energy levels.

3. What factors contribute to the depolarizing linewidth?

The depolarizing linewidth is affected by collisions between particles, magnetic and electric fields, and other environmental factors that can cause a broadening of the spectral line.

4. Can depolarizing and source linewidths be controlled or reduced?

Yes, depolarizing and source linewidths can be controlled and reduced through the use of specialized techniques such as laser cooling and trapping, which can reduce the effects of collisions and other environmental factors on the spectral line.

5. Are depolarizing and source linewidths the same for all types of spectroscopy?

No, the depolarizing and source linewidths can vary depending on the type of spectroscopy being performed. For example, the depolarizing linewidth may be different for emission spectroscopy compared to absorption spectroscopy.