Density operator for one part of a two-party state

Therefore, \rho_{A} is positive and has a trace of 1.In summary, we found the expression for the state |\psi\rangle_{A} from the two party state |\psi\rangle_{AB}. We also clarified that the normalization constant is indeed a normalization constant and that the state |\psi\rangle_{A} is a mixed state. Lastly, we proved that \rho_{A} is positive and has a trace of 1.
zoemoe

Homework Statement

Let [itex]|\psi\rangle_{AB}=\sum_{i}\sum_{j}c_{ij}|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A}\otimes|\psi_{j}\rangle_{B}[/itex] be a normalized two party state, being [itex]\{|{\varphi_{i}}\rangle_{A}\}[/itex] and [itex]\{|{\psi_{j}}\rangle_{B}\}[/itex] basis of H[itex]_{A}[/itex] and H[itex]_{B}[/itex] respectively, with dimensions N and M. Find [itex]\rho_{A}[/itex] and prove that it's positive and its trace is 1.

Homework Equations

Given in the attempt at a solution

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to find what was the state corresponding only to A, since I'm given a two party state but the density operator that I have to find relates only to A.
I assumed that since A only "knows" about its part of the state, but not about the B part, then the state from A's point of view should be a mix of the part that A knows about over all of the possibilities for the B part (which A doesn't know), but I wasn't sure about how to express that.
After some searching, I found this expression for the A part of the state:

[itex]|\psi\rangle_{A}=\sum_{j}\sum_{i}|c_{ij}|^{2}\frac{\sum_{i}c_{ij}|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A}}{\sqrt{\sum_{i}|c_{ij}|^{2}}}[/itex]

And tried to see if it made sense with my "definition" of the state corresponding to A:

*[itex]|c_{ij}|^{2}[/itex] is the probability of the two party state being in [itex]|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A}\otimes|\psi_{j}\rangle_{B}[/itex], and we sum that over all possible i's (meaing over all of the possibilities for the A part) so that would be the probability of finding [itex]|{\psi_{j}}\rangle_{B}[/itex], and since the very first sum, which affects all the following terms, is over all j's, this matches what I said about a mix over all of the possibilities for B.

*[itex]c_{ij}|{\varphi_{i}}\rangle_{A}[/itex] is the part of the state that A "knows" about; we sum that over all possibilities for A, so up until now I think this adds up to what I thought the state should look like.

*Finally, we have the [itex]\sqrt{\sum_{i}|c_{ij}|^{2}}[/itex] in the denominator that I hadn't accounted for, which I guess is a normalization constant but I'm not sure.

I would like to know if this last term is in fact a normalization constant or something different, and also if my reasoning is correct and, if it isn't, I'd really appreciate if somebody would point out where or why it fails.

Once I know the expression for [itex]|{\psi}\rangle_{A}[/itex] I think I can manage the rest just fine.

Thanks a lot for helping me out.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your reasoning seems to be mostly correct, but there are a few things that could use some clarification.

Firstly, the term \sqrt{\sum_{i}|c_{ij}|^{2}} in the denominator is indeed a normalization constant. This is because we want the state |\psi\rangle_{A} to be a valid state, meaning it must have a norm of 1. In other words, the sum of all the probabilities (|c_{ij}|^{2}) must equal 1, so we divide by this normalization constant to ensure that is the case.

Secondly, your reasoning about the state corresponding to A seems to be on the right track. However, I would like to point out that the state |\psi\rangle_{A} is actually a mixed state, as it is a sum of different states (|{\varphi_{i}}\rangle_{A}) with different probabilities (|c_{ij}|^{2}). This means that A does not have knowledge of the exact state, but rather a probabilistic distribution of possible states.

Lastly, to prove that \rho_{A} is positive and has a trace of 1, we can use the definition of the density operator:

\rho_{A} = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}|c_{ij}|^{2}|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A}\langle\varphi_{i}|_{A}

We can then show that \rho_{A} is positive by taking the inner product with an arbitrary state |\alpha\rangle_{A}:

\langle\alpha|\rho_{A}|\alpha\rangle = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}|c_{ij}|^{2}\langle\alpha|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A}\langle\varphi_{i}|\alpha\rangle_{A}

Since the inner product is always positive, and the probabilities |c_{ij}|^{2} are also positive, we can conclude that \rho_{A} is positive.

To show that the trace of \rho_{A} is 1, we can simply take the trace of \rho_{A}:

Tr(\rho_{A}) = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}|c_{ij}|^{2}\langle\varphi_{i}|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A} = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}|c_{

Related to Density operator for one part of a two-party state

1. What is a density operator for one part of a two-party state?

A density operator is a mathematical representation of a quantum state. In the context of a two-party state, it represents the state of one of the two parties. It is a Hermitian operator that encapsulates all the information about the quantum state, including the probabilities of different outcomes of measurements.

2. How is the density operator for one part of a two-party state related to the overall state?

The overall state of a two-party system can be described by a joint density operator, which is a combination of the density operators of the individual parties. The partial trace of the joint density operator over one of the parties gives the density operator for that specific party.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a density operator for one part of a two-party state?

The eigenvalues of a density operator represent the probabilities of different measurement outcomes, while the corresponding eigenvectors represent the quantum states that result in those outcomes. They provide important information about the state of the system and can be used to calculate the expectation value of observables.

4. How does the density operator for one part of a two-party state change over time?

The density operator for one part of a two-party state can change over time through unitary evolution or through interactions with the environment. In both cases, the density operator will evolve according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of quantum states.

5. Can the density operator for one part of a two-party state be used to calculate entanglement?

Yes, the density operator of one party can be used to calculate the entanglement between the two parties. Entanglement is a measure of the correlation between the two parties, and it can be quantified using the von Neumann entropy of the reduced density operator. The higher the entropy, the more entangled the two parties are.