Density of states, and integral of the Sommerfeld type

In summary, the book introduces the density of states, which is a property of the electron gas that can be used to calculate the number of electrons or the internal energy.
Telemachus
It is easy to show that when you have a quantum system, let's think for example in electrons in a metal, then there appears summation over electron states of the form, e.g. for the energy for a free electron gas at T=0K:

##E=2 \sum_{k\leq k_f} \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}k^2##

Where ##k_f## denotes the Fermi wave vector.

In general one has sums of the form:

##\sum_{k} F(\vec{k})##

Now, for a free electorn gas one has that the volume in k space per allowed k value is ##\Delta \vec{k}=\frac{8\pi^3}{V}## where V is the volume of the solid (I'm following Aschroft and Mermin, solid state physics, page 37). So that in the limit of large V, one has:

##\displaystyle \lim_{V\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{V} \sum_{k} F(\vec{k}) \Delta k= \int \frac{d^3k}{8\pi^3} F(k).##

For the energy at non zero temperature one has

##E=2 \sum_k \epsilon(k) f(\epsilon_k)##

With:
##\epsilon_k=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}k^2##

In general one has a dependence on energy ##\epsilon## per electron on the wave vector k, and f denotes the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

In the limit of large V, one then has:

##\lim \frac{E}{V}=u=\frac{1}{4\pi} \int \epsilon(k)f(\epsilon(k))d^3k##

Now, for the arbitrary function ##F(k)##, one can solve the integral in spherical coordinates:
##\int \frac{d^3k}{8\pi^3} F(k)=\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int dk k^2 F(\epsilon_k)##

So, that's ok, now the next step the book does is the one that is not clear to me how to get. In this step, this integral is taken to the one that is commonly used to evaluate the internal energy, or the number of electrons, etc. its the integral which I call as the "Sommerfeld type" because is that Sommerfeld used to make the "Sommerfeld expansion"

In this step, it is introduced the density of states

##\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int dk k^2 f(\epsilon_k)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d\epsilon g(\epsilon) F(\epsilon)##

Where is used the fact that the integrand depends on ##\vec k## only through the electronic energy ##\epsilon =\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}k^2##

I hoped to derive this result just by calculation of the differentials, to get something like ##d\epsilon g(\epsilon)=\frac{k^2 dk}{\pi^2}##

The density of states is defined as ##g(\epsilon)=\frac{dn}{d\epsilon}##

Where ##n=\frac{N}{V}## is the number of electrons per unit volume, the electronic density.

Hi Telemachus! I don't quite understand the question here - is it the change of variable from [itex]k[/itex] to [itex]\epsilon[/itex] that's causing confusion?

Likes Telemachus
Yes, that's it.

Yes, that's it, I don't understand how to get the density of states in that step. I know the integral makes perfect sense, I have used it, but I don't know how to derive the result rigorously.

PS: sorry for the double post.

PS2: I saw a mistake in the formula I've posted, it is obvious, but anyway it should read:

##\frac{1}{\pi^2}\int dk k^2 F(\epsilon_k)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d\epsilon g(\epsilon) F(\epsilon)##

Last edited:
The change of variables in the integral should be straightforward:
[tex]\epsilon = \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}\\

k = \sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}} \; \epsilon^{1/2}\\

dk = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}} \; \epsilon^{-1/2} \; d\epsilon
[/tex]

Likes Telemachus
Great, thanks! that's exactly what I wanted, I don't know why I couldn't see that the density of states emerged naturally from there!

No problem!

Btw your integrals should go from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex], not from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex], since [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] are both positive.

Likes Telemachus

Related to Density of states, and integral of the Sommerfeld type

1. What is the density of states?

The density of states is a concept in solid state physics that refers to the number of energy states per unit volume available to be occupied by electrons in a material. It is often represented by the symbol D(E) and is typically measured in units of states per energy per volume.

2. How is the density of states related to the integral of the Sommerfeld type?

The integral of the Sommerfeld type is a mathematical expression used to calculate the total number of energy states available in a material. It is closely related to the density of states, as it is essentially the integral of the density of states over all possible energy values.

3. What does the integral of the Sommerfeld type tell us about a material?

The integral of the Sommerfeld type provides information about the electronic properties of a material, such as its band structure and the allowed energy levels for electrons. It can also give insight into the overall behavior of electrons in the material, such as their mobility and conductivity.

4. How is the integral of the Sommerfeld type calculated?

The integral of the Sommerfeld type is typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as numerical integration or approximation methods. It involves integrating the density of states function over all possible energy values, which can be a complex task for certain materials.

5. What are the applications of the density of states and integral of the Sommerfeld type?

The density of states and integral of the Sommerfeld type are important concepts in solid state physics and have various applications in materials science, electronics, and other fields. They are used to study the electronic properties of materials, understand their behavior under different conditions, and design new materials with specific properties and functionalities.