Demystifying the Chain Rule in Calculus - Comments

In summary: It's not just a rule about derivatives of functions, it's a way of thinking about derivatives.In summary, this article provides a helpful demystification of the Chain Rule and its various applications.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Demystifying the Chain Rule in Calculus
chainrule.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• chainrule.png
    chainrule.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,049
Likes Morgner_Sant, wormbread, lekh2003 and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Great insight, it addresses the main issues an average student (and i myself had) might stumble into when coming in first contact with the chain rule.

Last edited:
This is a very insightful insight. I have just begun studying calculus and I was extremely worried about this magical chain rule. This article was helpful in demystifying whatever I could understand from the insight :bow:.

Likes PeroK and Delta2
The light type used, 33% saturation, makes it difficult to read. Any chance of increasing the amount of "ink" used? This thread, as all others, uses 50-75% saturation. And the reply box I'm typing in uses 98% saturation.
Thanks.

Thank you PeroK, I've found myself lost with things like this a couple of times and I agree when you say that the differential notation lacks of many things. The last issue that I lately found confusing was that you pointed out in equation (8):

Having a function f(g(x,t),x) write the partial derivative of f wrt x without having written the same term in both sides of the equation. :woot:

One option would be , being fi the partial derivative of f wrt its i-th argument, write fx = f1(x,t) gx+f2 ,
this way you could avoid writting f2 again as fx and it would be the same as you suggested there (1,2 instead of X,Y).
Another option: Using differential notation you would have to use parenthesis and write explicitly that
f1 = (∂f / ∂g) keeping the 2nd argument of f fixed, but that would bring notational clustering so better stick with the first option. :P

Fortunately, some people will read this article and they won't have to question all their knowwledge again as I did in that moment.

Nice article.

I would only comment that in multivariate calculus one inevitably gets into directional derivatives. To understand these I think it is helpful to think of the derivative(or differential) of a function as a linear map on direction vectors. The Chain Rule then says that if you compose two functions, the derivative of the composition is the composition of the derivatives. In classical multivariable calculus this means you matrix multiply the Jacobian matrices.

Also thinking of the derivative in this way gives a conceptual framework for the Chain Rule.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara and mathwonk

Related to Demystifying the Chain Rule in Calculus - Comments

What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows you to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

Why is the chain rule important in calculus?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions, which are often composed of multiple functions. Without the chain rule, it would be difficult to find the derivative of these functions, making it an essential tool in calculus.

What are some common mistakes made when using the chain rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the chain rule when taking the derivative of a composite function. Another mistake is mixing up the order of the functions when applying the chain rule. It is also important to be careful with parentheses and make sure to include them when necessary.

Can the chain rule be applied to any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any type of function, as long as it is a composite function. This includes polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions, among others.

How can I practice and improve my understanding of the chain rule?

One way to practice and improve your understanding of the chain rule is to work on a variety of problems that involve composite functions. You can also watch online tutorials and work through practice exercises to solidify your understanding. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or classmate can be beneficial in clarifying any confusion or difficulties you may have with the concept.