Demagnetizing Gas Piping: Safe Methods Explained

• Thread starter William Brown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piping
In summary, the safest way to demagnetize a 16" .375 wall X52 carbon steel gas pipe that has been depressurized and cold cut for welding is to use a process called "deGaussing." This process involves heating the pipe to a certain temperature or rapping it with a lead, but it is important to ensure the correct polarity and current electrode. If not properly demagnetized, the welding process can re-magnetize the pipe and affect its integrity.
William Brown
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hello and thank you for your time, OK enough of that Question I have is
(1) A gas pipe in-service 16" .375 wall X52 carbon pipe and has been depressurized & cold cut and to weld a new spool piece to replace old on. At this time it was found to be magnetized. What is the safest way to demagnetize pipe to be welded?
I have read two ways. One is with heat but no one has told me the temperature which could be a factor in the integrity of the pipe and two rapping the lead but which end the positive or negative and which current electrode positive or electrode negative
Please explain in full detail & thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
William Brown said:
(1) A gas pipe in-service 16" .375 wall X52 carbon pipe

I was reading this and thinking what the ?

how can you magnetise a carbon pipe ... then I realized the OP omitted an important word ... steel as in carbon steel :rolleyes:

Likes berkeman

Related to Demagnetizing Gas Piping: Safe Methods Explained

1. What is demagnetizing gas piping?

Demagnetizing gas piping is the process of removing any residual magnetism from the pipes that carry gas. This can occur due to the presence of ferromagnetic materials or exposure to strong magnetic fields, which can disrupt the flow of gas and potentially lead to safety hazards.

2. Why is it important to demagnetize gas piping?

Demagnetizing gas piping is important because it ensures the safe and efficient flow of gas through the pipes. Residual magnetism can cause gas flow disruptions, leading to potential leaks or explosions. It also helps to prevent any interference with nearby electronic devices or equipment that may be sensitive to magnetic fields.

3. What are some safe methods for demagnetizing gas piping?

There are several safe methods for demagnetizing gas piping, including using a demagnetizing coil, using a degaussing unit, or using a handheld demagnetizer. These methods use electromagnetic fields to neutralize any residual magnetism in the pipes without causing damage.

4. How often should gas piping be demagnetized?

The frequency of demagnetizing gas piping depends on various factors, such as the type of gas being carried, the materials of the pipes, and the presence of any nearby magnetic sources. It is generally recommended to demagnetize gas piping at least once every 2-3 years as a preventive measure.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with demagnetizing gas piping?

When done correctly, demagnetizing gas piping is a safe process. However, there is a risk of damaging the pipes if the demagnetizing equipment is not used properly or if the pipes are already weak or corroded. It is crucial to follow the recommended procedures and use appropriate equipment to avoid any potential risks.