Del operator and wave function

In summary, the question asks about the del operator acting on a wave function with a dot product of momentum and position. The dot product is always scalar and it is possible to expand it in terms of Cartesian components. If one assumes that the momentum is directed toward the z axis, the result will not be as general. The gradient can be found using the del operator in Cartesian coordinates, where the functions of position may only depend on one spatial variable, simplifying the derivatives.
apenn121
I've been given the question "What is ∇exp(ipr/ħ) ?"

I recognise that this is the del operator acting on a wave function but using the dot product of momentum and position in the wave function is new to me. The dot product is always scalar so I was wondering if it would be correct in writing that it is equal to prcosθ and then using the spherical coordinate del operator on the wave function to find the result. £

Physics news on Phys.org
apenn121 said:
so I was wondering if it would be correct in writing that it is equal to prcosθ
If you do that, you will be assuming the momentum is directed toward z axis, the result will not be so general then. Just expand the dot product in terms of Cartesian components.
For your future post in this section, please refer to our Guidelines which can be found at the top of the thread list.

In Cartesian coordinates, you will often see something like:
##\vec p = \hat x p_x+ \hat y p_y+\hat z p_z## and ##\vec r = \hat x f_x(x,y,z)+ \hat y f_y(x,y,z)+\hat z f_z(x,y,z)##
Then ## i\vec p \cdot \vec r = i (p_x f_x(x,y,z)+p_y f_y(x,y,z ) + p_z f_z(x,y,z)) ##
So you gradient would be
## \nabla W = \hat x (i \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (p_x f_x(x,y,z)+p_y f_y(x,y,z ) + p_z f_z(x,y,z)))W + \hat y (i \frac{\partial}{\partial y} (p_x f_x(x,y,z)+p_y f_y(x,y,z ) + p_z f_z(x,y,z)))W + \hat z (i \frac{\partial}{\partial z} (p_x f_x(x,y,z)+p_y f_y(x,y,z ) + p_z f_z(x,y,z)))W ##
In many cases, the functions of position might only depend on one of the spatial variables which can simplify the derivatives.

Related to Del operator and wave function

1. What is the Del operator and how is it represented?

The Del operator, also known as the nabla operator, is a vector differential operator used in mathematics and physics. It is represented by the symbol ∇ (pronounced "del") and is used to represent various operations, such as gradient, divergence, and curl.

2. How is the Del operator used in the Schrödinger equation?

In quantum mechanics, the Schrödinger equation is used to describe the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons. The Del operator is used in the Schrödinger equation to represent the spatial derivatives of the wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position.

3. What is the relationship between the Del operator and the wave function?

The Del operator and the wave function are intimately related in quantum mechanics. The Del operator is used to operate on the wave function, resulting in various physical quantities such as probability density and momentum. The wave function, on the other hand, is used to describe the state of a quantum system and how it evolves over time.

4. How does the Del operator affect the shape of a wave function?

The Del operator can affect the shape of a wave function through the gradient operation. The gradient of the wave function represents the direction and rate of change of the wave function in space. This can result in changes to the amplitude and phase of the wave function, ultimately affecting its shape.

5. Can the Del operator be used to describe other physical quantities besides the wave function?

Yes, the Del operator can be used to describe various physical quantities besides the wave function. For example, when operating on a scalar field, the Del operator represents the gradient of that field. When operating on a vector field, it represents the curl or divergence of that field. The versatility of the Del operator makes it an essential tool in many areas of physics.