Degenerate perturbation theory (Sakurai's textbook)

In summary: But if you include the extra P_1, then you can write P_1 V P_1 instead of P_1 V P_0 in the denominator, which is hermitian and only acts in the projected subspace. This simplifies the expression. In summary, the theory of degenerate perturbation in Sakurai's textbook, Modern Quantum Mechanics Chapter 5, discusses the perturbed Hamiltonian and its projection onto the degenerate subspace. By multiplying the equation (5.2.4) by (E-H0-λP1V)-1, the formula (5.2.5) is obtained. This formula includes an extra P1, which simplifies the expression by only acting in the projected subs
hokhani
In the theory of degenerate perturbation in Sakurai’s textbook, Modern Quantum Mechanics Chapter 5, the perturbed Hamiltonian is [itex] H|l\rangle=(H_0 +\lambda V) |l\rangle =E|l\rangle [/itex] which is written as [itex]0=(E-H_0-\lambda V) |l\rangle [/itex](the formula (5.2.2)). By projecting [itex]P_1[/itex] from the left ([itex]P_1=1-P_0[/itex] and [itex]P_0[/itex] is projection operator onto the degenerate subspace):

[itex]-\lambda P_1 V P_0|l\rangle +(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)P_1|l\rangle=0 [/itex] (5.2.4)

Then from this, the formula below is obtained:

[itex]P_1|l\rangle =P_1 \frac{\lambda}{E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1}P_1 V P_0|l\rangle [/itex] (5.2.5)

But I never can reach to (5.2.5) from (5.2.4). Could anyone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply (5.2.4) by (E−H0−λP1V)-1, provided it exists.

dextercioby said:
Multiply (5.2.4) by (E−H0−λP1V)-1, provided it exists.
Thanks, But it gives
[itex]P_1|l\rangle =\frac{\lambda P_1 V P_0}{(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)}|l\rangle[/itex] which is not the same as (5.2.5). Could you please guide me completely?

Put now P_1 on both sides to the left and use that this is a projector (idempotent).

Likes 1 person
Right, Thanks. But all my problem is with the extra [itex]P_1[/itex]in the denominator of (5.2.5). Where does it come from? In my idea, it seems to be a mistyped mistake. Also I think the formula (5.2.15) is mistyped because the sum hasn't to be over the degenerate space! However I am not confident about my idea (I have also seen exactly those formula in the new version of the book, 2011).

Last edited:
[itex]-\lambda P_1 V P_0|l\rangle +(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)P_1|l\rangle=0 [/itex] (5.2.4)

This is equivalent to

[itex]-\lambda P_1 V P_0|l\rangle +(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1)P_1|l\rangle=0 [/itex]

because

[itex]P_1^2=P_1[/itex]

since it is a projection operator.

Likes Vineyo and hokhani
Avodyne said:

This is equivalent to

[itex]-\lambda P_1 V P_0|l\rangle +(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V P_1)P_1|l\rangle=0 [/itex]

because

[itex]P_1^2=P_1[/itex]

since it is a projection operator.
Thank you and dextercioby. It still remains another question. Why don't we regard the relation as [itex]P_1|l\rangle =\frac{\lambda P_1 V P_0}{(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)}|l\rangle[/itex]? Is it necessary to include the extra [itex]P_1[/itex]?

hokhani said:
Why don't we regard the relation as [itex]P_1|l\rangle =\frac{\lambda P_1 V P_0}{(E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)}|l\rangle[/itex]?
This is not a valid expression, because [itex]P_1 V P_0[/itex] and [itex](E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)^{-1}[/itex] do not commute. They must be written in a definite order.

hokhani said:
Is it necessary to include the extra [itex]P_1[/itex]?
Strictly speaking, it's not necessary. However, it is helpful, because [itex]P_1 V P_1[/itex] is hermitian, and clearly acts only in the subspace projected by [itex]P_1[/itex].

Likes Vineyo
Avodyne said:
This is not a valid expression, because [itex]P_1 V P_0[/itex] and [itex](E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)^{-1}[/itex] do not commute. They must be written in a definite order.

Excuse me. I don't understand your above sentence. Do you mean that if we use extra[itex]P_1[/itex] in the denominator, then[itex]P_1 V P_0[/itex] and [itex](E-H_0-\lambda P_1 V)^{-1}[/itex] would commute?

No, they don't commute whether or not you include the extra [itex]P_1[/itex], so they must be written in a particular order.

Likes Vineyo and hokhani

Related to Degenerate perturbation theory (Sakurai's textbook)

1. What is degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is a method used to solve quantum mechanical problems when the unperturbed Hamiltonian has degenerate energy levels. It takes into account the interactions between the degenerate states and perturbations to calculate the corrected energy levels and wavefunctions.

2. How does degenerate perturbation theory differ from non-degenerate perturbation theory?

In non-degenerate perturbation theory, the unperturbed Hamiltonian has non-degenerate energy levels, meaning each energy level has a unique eigenstate. In contrast, degenerate perturbation theory is used when the unperturbed Hamiltonian has degenerate energy levels, meaning multiple eigenstates have the same energy. Degenerate perturbation theory takes into account the interactions between these degenerate states, while non-degenerate perturbation theory does not.

3. What are the key assumptions of degenerate perturbation theory?

The main assumptions of degenerate perturbation theory are that the perturbing Hamiltonian is small compared to the unperturbed Hamiltonian and that the perturbing Hamiltonian does not mix states with different energies. Additionally, it is assumed that the degenerate states are not too close in energy, so the interactions between them can be treated separately.

4. What are some applications of degenerate perturbation theory?

Degenerate perturbation theory is commonly used in quantum mechanics to solve problems related to atomic and molecular systems, as well as solid-state physics. It has also been applied to problems in nuclear physics, such as calculating the energy levels of nuclei with multiple protons and neutrons.

5. How is degenerate perturbation theory implemented in practice?

The implementation of degenerate perturbation theory involves solving a set of coupled equations, known as the secular equations, to calculate the corrected energy levels and wavefunctions. This can be done analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the problem. In some cases, approximations may also be used to simplify the calculations.