Definition problem of the integral of a nonnegative f in royden's book

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential definition problem in Royden's book on real analysis. The issue arises in chapter 4, section 3, where the definition of the integral of a nonnegative measurable function over a measurable set is given. The problem is that if the measure of the set is infinite, the integral of a bounded measurable function over it is not defined before taking the supremum. This could be problematic for readers with limited knowledge of real analysis. Some participants in the conversation express their dislike for the book, citing its lack of insightful discussions, poor index, and unclear definitions. One participant recommends Folland's Real Analysis as a better alternative.
alexzhu
Hi guys,

Does anyone notice a definition problem in royden's book?

In chapter 4, section 3, royden's definition: the integral of a nonnegative measurable function f over a measurable set E to be the supremum of all the integrals of bounded measurable functions (Each of them vanishes outside a set of finite measure and is no greater than f) over E.

Here is the problem: assume the measure of E is infinite, then an integral of a bounded measurable function (vanishes outside a set of finite measure and no greater than f) over E is not defined, because in section 2 royden only defines an integral of a bounded measurable function over a set with finite measure. So there seems to be a problem in royden's definition above. Strictly speaking, integrals of bounded measurable functions over E are not defined before taking supremum.

If you have a background of real analysis before reading royden's book, then this definition problem could be solved by other means. However, if you are a beginner and your knowledge of real analysis is limited to the materials from chapter 1 to chapter 4, section 2 in royden's book, then this definition problem seems to be unsolvable.

Hope I make my point clear, thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you are right, although I don't find it surprising. It still surprises me this book is so popular.

n!kofeyn said:
It seems you are right, although I don't find it surprising. It still surprises me this book is so popular.
I guess the reason for its popularity is that it provides sort of "classic" viewpoints to deal with real analysis, which is of course different from the modern techniques. Anyway, it is an excellent book as a reference.

alexzhu said:
I guess the reason for its popularity is that it provides sort of "classic" viewpoints to deal with real analysis, which is of course different from the modern techniques. Anyway, it is an excellent book as a reference.

This book is horrible as a reference! I really can't stand the book. It hardly offers a viewpoint, as it is a collection of theorems, propositions, proofs, and exercises. There are no insightful discussions and the definitions are buried within paragraphis, which doesn't make for a quick look at what a definition actually says. The index is horrible. As an example, a major portion of this book is over Lebesgue something. There is Lebesgue measure, the Lebesgue integral, Lebesgue-Stieltjes integral, Lebesgue monotone convergence, Lebesgue bounded convergence, Lebesge dominated convergence. Are these in the index? No. Lebesgue decomposition is the only entry in the index under Lebesgue.

He doesn't even dare mention Henri Lebesgue and his goals or descriptive definition of the Lebesgue integral. He makes no mention that there are other methods of defining measurable sets other than the Caratheodory condition, as he merely just states it. I find it to be a sad testimony to the fact that professors aren't more innovative when choosing a textbook.

The best book I know is Folland's Real Analysis. Although the proofs are terse you rarely have to spend much time filling in the details. It's strengths are that it has very good discussions after each chapter. Unfortunately, the book has some typos, but the author maintains a very good errata list.

I couldn't agree more! I'm reading it. Seemed that Wheeden and Zygmund's book is also popular in the math community.

Last edited:
I don't notice that until you point it out. Some of the definitions in the book are indeed annoying and ambiguous, "simple function" for example. I really don't like them. I stopped reading after going through 4 chapters.

Related to Definition problem of the integral of a nonnegative f in royden's book

1. What is the definition of an integral in Royden's book?

The integral of a nonnegative function f in Royden's book is defined as the limit of a sequence of Riemann sums, where each sum is calculated using a partition of the interval [a,b] and choosing sample points within each subinterval.

2. How is the integral of a nonnegative function computed in Royden's book?

In Royden's book, the integral of a nonnegative function is computed by taking the limit of Riemann sums, which involves dividing the interval [a,b] into smaller subintervals and finding the sum of the areas of rectangles formed by the function and the height of the subinterval.

3. What is the relationship between the integral of a nonnegative function and its antiderivative in Royden's book?

In Royden's book, the integral of a nonnegative function is equal to the difference between the values of its antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of integration. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. Can the integral of a nonnegative function be negative in Royden's book?

No, the integral of a nonnegative function cannot be negative in Royden's book because it is defined as the limit of Riemann sums, which are always positive since they involve calculating the area under a curve.

5. How does the definition of the integral of a nonnegative function in Royden's book differ from other definitions?

Royden's definition of the integral of a nonnegative function is similar to the Riemann integral, but it differs in that it allows for the function to be nonnegative instead of requiring it to be continuous. This allows for a wider range of functions to be integrated using this definition.