Definition of Vector Field in General Relativity

In summary, the transformation law between two neighboring points is just the conclusion you come to. The actual coordinate transformation is just the time-ordered product of the boost matrices.
Jianbing_Shao
In general relativity we demand that the physical law can be stated as a form which does not depend on the choose of particular coordinate system, So the vector field is defined as a changing object following a regular pattern under the transformation of coordinates. For example, we can define the covariant vector field as:

##v^\mu (x) \rightarrow v'^{\mu} (x)=J^\mu_\nu(x) v^\nu (x)## . ##J^\mu_\nu(x)\equiv \frac{\partial x'^{\mu}}{\partial x^\nu}##

In fact, this transformation is a global transformation. What interested me is the infinitesimal transformation induced by the global transformation between two neighboring point:##x## and ##x+dx##.

If we require that ##v(x)=G(x)v(x_0)##, or ##dv(x)=(\partial_iG(x))G^{-1}(x)dx^iv(x)##

Then ## v'(x)=J(x)G(x)v(x_0)##. So the infinitesimal change is:

## dv'(x)=\partial_i(J(x)G(x)) (J(x)G(x))^{-1}dx^iv'(x)##,

And we can get:

## dv'(x)=\left((\partial_iJ)J^{-1} +(\partial_i G)G^{-1} +J[(\partial_i G)G^{-1}, J^{-1}]\right)dx^i v'(x)##

To us, the first two terms ##(\partial_i J)J^{-1}dx^iv'(x)## and##(\partial_i G)G^{-1}dx^i v'(x)## is easily to be explained, They can be seemed to result from the original vector field and coordinate transformation, but the third term is hard to be explained, Does it has any exact physical interpretations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jianbing_Shao said:
So the vector field is defined as a changing object following a regular pattern under the transformation of coordinates.
This is not accurate. What changes when you change basis are the components of the vector field. The vector field itself stays the same.

Later you seem to want to compare vectors at different points in the manifold. Generally you cannot do this without introducing some form of connection. It is not clear to me exactly what you are trying to do.
Jianbing_Shao said:
In fact, this transformation is a global transformation.
It is not a global transformation, it is a local transformation. If it was a global transformation all components would transform in the same way but the Jacobian depends on the point.

Orodruin said:
This is not accurate. What changes when you change basis are the components of the vector field. The vector field itself stays the same.

The transformation law
##v^\mu (x) \rightarrow v'^{\mu} (x)=J^\mu_\nu(x) v^\nu (x)## . ##J^\mu_\nu(x)\equiv \frac{\partial x'^{\mu}}{\partial x^\nu}##
just result from the conclusion you give above.
##v^\mu e_\mu=v'^\mu e'_\mu##
if ##e_\mu## changes according to the rule ##e_\mu (x) \rightarrow e'_{\mu} (x)=(J^{-1})_\mu^\nu(x) e_\nu (x)##
##v'^\mu (x)## changes according to the formula above.
I only try to find out the infinitesimal change of ##v'^\mu (x)## between two neighboring points. and how it caused by the change of ##v^\mu (x) ## and ##J^\mu_\nu##

Last edited:
The difference between the vectors at two different points is meaningless without a connection and (in general) a path between them. They belong to different tangent spaces.

Likes dextercioby
Orodruin said:
The difference between the vectors at two different points is meaningless without a connection and (in general) a path between them. They belong to different tangent spaces.

Of course we can define the connection, because we have basis field ##e'_\mu##. so:
##de'_\mu=\omega^\nu_\mu e'_\nu##.
As to choosing a particular path, because we only discussing the change between two neighboring points, so we can require that the path should be a geodesic.

Last edited:
In fact, I am not interested in comparing two vector between two neighboring points, I only focus on the question that how ##v^\mu (x)## and Jacobian matrix ##J^\mu_\nu(x)## determine the local property of ##v'^\mu (x)## . and in fact. this problem result from Thomas precession.
We can consider a particle moving with velocity ##v(t)=\beta/c##, The connection between the coordinates in the particle's rest frame at time ##t## and the coordinates in the laboratory frame always are described with boost matrix ##A(\beta)##,
## A(\beta)= exp(-\zeta^i(t) K_i) , \zeta^i(t)=\tanh^{-1}{\beta^i}##
So the infinitesimal transformation between time ##t## and ##t+\delta t## is:
## A(\beta+\delta\beta)A^{-1}(\beta)=\exp\left(-\delta\zeta^iK_i+\frac{1}{2}[(\zeta^i+\delta\zeta^i)K_i,\zeta^jK_j]\right)##
Then we can get:
##x^{(t+\delta t)}= \exp\left(-\delta\zeta^iK_i+\frac{1}{2}[(\zeta^i+\delta\zeta^i)K_i,\zeta^jK_j]\right)x^{(t)}##
##\exp\left(\frac{1}{2}[\delta\zeta^iK_i,\zeta^jK_j]\right)## describes a rotation called Thomas precession.
But in fact it is not hard to find the actual transformation formula is:
## x^{(t+\delta t)}= \exp\left(-\delta\zeta^iK_i\right)x^{(t)}##,
Then the actual coordinate transformation can be written as:
## x^{(t)}=T {\exp\left(-\int d\zeta^iK_i\right)}x^{(t_0) }##, ##T## represents time-ordered product.
So we can draw a conclusion that the appearance of Thomas precession only because we try to use ## A(\beta)## to describe the coordinate transformation. If we use the formula above to describe the coordinate transformation, then there is no need to introducing Thomas precession, Rotation appears in a more natural way.

Related to Definition of Vector Field in General Relativity

What is a vector field in general relativity?

A vector field in general relativity is a mathematical concept that describes a set of vectors, each associated with a point in space and time. In general relativity, these vectors represent the directional and magnitude properties of a physical quantity, such as mass, energy, or momentum.

How is a vector field related to general relativity?

A vector field is a fundamental concept in general relativity, as it allows for the description of the curvature of spacetime, which is a central concept in this theory. The curvature of spacetime is described by the Einstein field equations, which involve vector fields representing the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

What are the properties of a vector field in general relativity?

A vector field in general relativity must satisfy certain mathematical properties, such as being smooth and differentiable, in order to accurately describe the curvature of spacetime. Additionally, in general relativity, vector fields are often used to represent physical quantities that are conserved, such as energy and momentum.

How is a vector field defined in general relativity?

In general relativity, a vector field is defined as a smooth, differentiable function that assigns a vector to each point in spacetime. This means that the vector field must be defined for every point in the universe and must have continuous and differentiable components at each point.

What are some applications of vector fields in general relativity?

Vector fields have many applications in general relativity, including the study of gravitational waves, black holes, and the evolution of the universe. They are also used in the development of mathematical models and simulations to better understand the behavior of spacetime in extreme conditions.