Definition of efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the sorting of heat and mechanical work in a thermodynamic cycle and the definition of efficiency in relation to work and input heat. The net work is defined as the sum of work done by the system and work done on the system, with a negative value indicating a heat engine. The efficiency is commonly calculated as net work divided by input heat, but there is a suggestion to use only the work actually done by the system divided by all energy put into the system. However, this may not be applicable to heat engines, where the focus is on converting heat into work.
greypilgrim
Hi.

Sorting the exchanges of heat and mechanical work in a thermodynamic cycle by the signs and summarizing, I get
##Q_{in}>0##: heat transferred into the system
##Q_{out}<0##: heat transferred to the cold reservoir
##W_{out}<0##: work done by the system
##W_{in}>0##: work done on the system (e.g. by moving back a piston)

The net work is ##W=W_{out}+W_{in}<0## (if it's a heat engine).
Normally, the efficiency is defined by
$$\eta=\frac{|W|}{Q_{in}}=\frac{|W_{out}+W_{in}|}{Q_{in}}\enspace .$$

But wouldn't it be more reasonable to use
$$\eta=\frac{|W_{out}|}{Q_{in}+W_{in}}\enspace ,$$
i.e. only the work actually done by the system divided by all energy put into the system?

Science news on Phys.org
usually when we talk about heat engine, it gets all the energy needed in the form of heat, so the formula η= W/Qin is used, but in your case i think that the formula that you gave should be used.(i'm not sure)

Last edited by a moderator:
mehul mahajan said:
but in your case i think that the formula that you gave should be used.(i'm not sure)
That's not correct. The numerator is always taken as net work.

greypilgrim said:
But wouldn't it be more reasonable to use
η=|Wout|Qin+Win,​
\eta=\frac{|W_{out}|}{Q_{in}+W_{in}}\enspace ,
i.e. only the work actually done by the system divided by all energy put into the system?
While this makes sense in the overall concept of efficiency, it doesn't work very well when applied to heat engines, where one is mostly concerned by their ability to convert heat into work. Using your definition, a transmission belt could be seen as a heat engine with an efficiency of almost unity. Taking net work divided by input heat allows to concentrate on the conversion process.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
Indeed, most often Win=0W_\mathrm{in} = 0, so both forms would be equivalent.
I'm not sure if we are talking about different things, but I can't think of a single case where this is true. Every compression of a gas (which is present in virtually any thermodynamic cycle) is work done on the gas.

Only because ##W=W_{out}+W_{in}## has a negative part ##W_{out}<0## and a positive part ##W_{in}>0##, its absolute value ##|W|## corresponds to the area enclosed by the cycle in the PV diagram.

greypilgrim said:
I'm not sure if we are talking about different things, but I can't think of a single case where this is true. Every compression of a gas (which is present in virtually any thermodynamic cycle) is work done on the gas.
I completely misspoke. I have corrected my post.

Related to Definition of efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle

What is the definition of efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle is a measure of how much useful work can be obtained from a system compared to the total amount of energy put into the system. It is expressed as a percentage and is a key factor in determining the performance of heat engines and other thermodynamic processes.

How is the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle calculated?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle is calculated by dividing the useful work output by the total energy input. The useful work output is the amount of energy that is converted into work, while the total energy input is the sum of all the energy put into the system, including heat and work. This calculation is often represented by the equation: efficiency = (useful work output / total energy input) x 100%.

What factors affect the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle. These include the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working fluid used, the design of the system, and any losses due to friction or heat transfer. Generally, higher temperature differences and more efficient working fluids lead to higher efficiencies.

What is the maximum efficiency that can be achieved in a thermodynamic cycle?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the maximum efficiency that can be achieved in a thermodynamic cycle is limited by the Carnot efficiency. This is the maximum efficiency that can be obtained when operating between two temperature reservoirs. The Carnot efficiency is given by the equation: efficiency = (T1 - T2) / T1, where T1 is the temperature of the hot reservoir and T2 is the temperature of the cold reservoir.

How is the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle used in practical applications?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle is an important factor in the design and operation of many practical applications, including power plants, refrigeration systems, and heat engines. By understanding and maximizing the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle, engineers can improve the performance and energy efficiency of these systems, leading to cost savings and reduced environmental impact.