Definition of a Transcendental Function

In summary, a transcendental function is a type of mathematical function that cannot be expressed using a finite number of algebraic operations. It often involves exponential, logarithmic, or trigonometric functions. The main difference between algebraic and transcendental functions is that algebraic functions can be expressed using a finite number of algebraic operations, while transcendental functions cannot. Some examples of transcendental functions include exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. These functions cannot be solved algebraically and require numerical methods to find their values or solutions to equations. In science, transcendental functions are used for modeling natural phenomena and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.
psholtz
I had grown up thinking that the transcendental functions (to wit, e(x), sin(x), cos(x), etc) were (somewhat) arbitrary functions, "defined" simply by the fact that they could not be expressed as polynomials (or some such loose definition).

Indeed, from Wikipedia, we read that:
A transcendental function is a function that does not satisfy a polynomial equation whose coefficients are themselves polynomials, in contrast to an algebraic function, which does satisfy such an equation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_function
But now I'm reading from Ince's classic treatise on ODEs, and on page 23, he gets into a brief footnote about the nature of transcendental functions. Specifically, he writes:
The elementary transcendental functions are functions which can be derived from algebraic functions by integration, and the inverses of such functions.

-- Ince on ODEs
This is a rather different definition than that given by Wikipedia.

Indeed, Ince goes on to define the logarithm function as:

[tex]\ln(x) = \int_1^x t^{-1}dt[/tex]
and then defines the exponential function as the inverse of the logarithm, and then tersely states that the remaining elementary transcendentals, like the sine, cosine, and their hyperbolic equivalents, can be defined in terms of the exponential.

Now, it's obvious to me how to define hyperbolic sine and cosine in terms of exponentials. That follows directly from their definition.

For the "regular" sine and cosine, he must have in mind Euler's formula, no?

[tex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x[/tex]

I'm asking, just b/c I'm not sure how else to define sine and cosine in terms of an exponential..

At any rate, this was a little surprising to me, and I thought I would bring it up for discussion.

Is there a reference where I can read more about transcendental functions, and how they are defined? (i.e., defined in terms of integrating algebraic functions?)

Moreover, the imagination can easily conjure up a wide array of "transcendental" functions, to wit:

[tex]f(x) = x^\pi[/tex]
[tex]g(x) = x^ {1/x}[/tex]

and so on..

How might these functions be defined in terms of integration from algebraic functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the text you're citing, but I think the key here is "elementary transcendental functions". Not all transcendental functions can be defined by integration (any function defined by integration has to be continuous, and obviously there are transcendental functions that are not continuous).

As for defining sine and cosine, it does use Euler's formula

[tex]cos(x)=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

You can check by Euler's formula being plugged into the right hand side of each equation

You know Euler's identity for eix. What about for e-ix? Now solve for the two unknowns. :smile: (the unknowns being cos(x) and sin(x))

Office_Shredder said:
I'm not familiar with the text you're citing, but I think the key here is "elementary transcendental functions". Not all transcendental functions can be defined by integration (any function defined by integration has to be continuous, and obviously there are transcendental functions that are not continuous).

As for defining sine and cosine, it does use Euler's formula

[tex]cos(x)=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

You can check by Euler's formula being plugged into the right hand side of each equation

Almost right

[tex]\sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]

Related to Definition of a Transcendental Function

What is a transcendental function?

A transcendental function is a mathematical function that cannot be expressed in terms of a finite number of algebraic operations. It typically involves exponential, logarithmic, or trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between an algebraic and transcendental function?

The main difference between algebraic and transcendental functions is that algebraic functions can be expressed using a finite number of algebraic operations, while transcendental functions cannot. Algebraic functions include polynomials, rational functions, and root functions.

What are some examples of transcendental functions?

Some examples of transcendental functions include exponential functions (e.g. e^x), logarithmic functions (e.g. ln x), and trigonometric functions (e.g. sin x, cos x).

Can transcendental functions be solved algebraically?

No, transcendental functions cannot be solved algebraically. They require numerical methods to find their values or solutions to equations involving them.

What are the applications of transcendental functions in science?

Transcendental functions have many applications in science, including modeling natural phenomena, such as population growth and radioactive decay, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.