Definite integration by parts with sub

In summary, when solving a definite integral using substitution, you can either change the limits of integration according to the substitution and evaluate the antiderivative at the changed limits, or leave the limits unchanged, find the antiderivative and undo the substitution before evaluating. It is helpful to do the indefinite integral and find the antiderivative before evaluating at the original limits of integration.
h00zah
hello, i am stuck on how to do this

I know how to do it for an indefinite integral, but it gets confusing for a definite integral. from my knowledge, when doing a definite integral, you have to change the upper and lower limit. but when it comes to integration by parts for a definite integral using substitution i get completely lost. my prof made an example using a indefinite integral, but not a definite integral.

is there a methodology to solving these?

Physics news on Phys.org
h00zah said:
hello, i am stuck on how to do this

I know how to do it for an indefinite integral, but it gets confusing for a definite integral. from my knowledge, when doing a definite integral, you have to change the upper and lower limit.
If you do the integration by making a substitution you can either 1) change the limits of integration according to the substitution and evaluate the antiderivative at the changed limits of integration; OR 2) leave the limits unchanged, get the antiderivative, undo the substitution, and then evaluate. In other words, you don't have to change the limits of integration.
h00zah said:
but when it comes to integration by parts for a definite integral using substitution i get completely lost. my prof made an example using a indefinite integral, but not a definite integral.

is there a methodology to solving these?

To the side as scratchwork, do the indefinite integral and find the antiderivative. When you have found the antiderivative (and have undone any substitutions you might have done), evaluate your antiderivative at the two original limits of integration.

Here's an example that is done both ways, using an ordinary substitution:
[tex]\int_1^2 2x(x^2 + 1)^3 dx[/tex]

1. Limits of integration unchanged
u = x2 + 1, du = 2xdx
[tex]\int_1^2 2x(x^2 + 1)^3 dx = \int_{x = 1}^2 u^3 du = \left.\frac{u^4}{4}\right|_{x = 1}^2[/tex]
[tex]= \left.\frac{(x^2 + 1)^4}{4}\right|_{x = 1}^2 = \frac{625}{4} - \frac{16}{4} = \frac{609}{4}[/tex]

2. Limits of integration changed per substitution
u = x2 + 1, du = 2xdx
[tex]\int_1^2 2x(x^2 + 1)^3 dx = \int_{u = 2}^5 u^3 du = \left.\frac{u^4}{4}\right|_{u = 2}^5[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{625}{4} - \frac{16}{4} = \frac{609}{4}[/tex]

In #2, when x = 1, u = 12 + 1 = 2,
and when x = 2, u = 22 + 1 = 5

Related to Definite integration by parts with sub

What is definite integration by parts with sub?

Definite integration by parts with sub is a method used in calculus to evaluate definite integrals that are difficult to solve using other methods. It involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and applying the integration by parts formula to each part to simplify the overall integral.

When is definite integration by parts with sub most useful?

Definite integration by parts with sub is most useful when the integral contains a product of two functions, one of which can be easily integrated while the other can be easily differentiated. This method is also helpful when the integral contains a function raised to a power, such as x^2 or sin(x).

What is the integration by parts formula?

The integration by parts formula is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x and dv is the derivative of v with respect to x. This formula is used to simplify integrals by breaking them down into smaller parts.

What are the steps for using definite integration by parts with sub?

The steps for using definite integration by parts with sub are:1. Identify u and dv in the integral.2. Use the integration by parts formula to simplify the integral.3. If necessary, substitute in a new variable using the substitution method.4. Solve the new integral using integration techniques such as u-substitution or trigonometric substitution.5. If necessary, substitute back in the original variable to get the final answer.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using definite integration by parts with sub?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using definite integration by parts with sub are:1. Forgetting to apply the integration by parts formula correctly.2. Not simplifying the integral after applying the formula.3. Using the wrong substitution or forgetting to substitute in a new variable.4. Forgetting to substitute back in the original variable.5. Not checking for errors or incorrect answers.