Definite Integral: x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1)

In summary: Hi bincybn,Yes, maybe. But without knowing the answer it is impossible to use the induction method. Isn't?Gamma function \Gamma (z) = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t} t^{z-1} dt \int_{0}^{1} x((- \ln x )^k) (1-x)^{n-1} dx Let u = - \ln x \Rightarrow x = e^{-u} \Rightarrow dx = - e^{-u} du x = 0 \rightarrow u = \infty , x
bincy
Dear All,\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}x*\left(\left(-ln(x)\right)^{k}\right)*\left(1-x\right)^{(N-1)}dx \), where k is an odd no. N >=2.regards,
Bincy

Physics news on Phys.org
bincybn said:
Dear All,\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}x*\left(\left(-ln(x)\right)^{k}\right)*\left(1-x\right)^{(N-1)}dx \), where k is an odd no. N >=2.

regards,
Bincy
Hi bincybn,

Your integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However using Maxima I found that the answer is,

\[\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}x((-ln(x))^{k}\left(1-x\right)^{(N-1)}dx=(-1)^k\left( \left. \frac{{d}^{k}}{d\,{x}^{k}}\,\beta\left(N,x\right) \right|_{x=2}\right)~~~~\mbox{for }k\in\mathbb{Z^+}\]

\(\beta\) is the Beta function.

Sudharaka said:
Hi bincybn,

Your integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However using Maxima I found that the answer is,

\[\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}x((-ln(x))^{k}\left(1-x\right)^{(N-1)}dx=(-1)^k\left( \left. \frac{{d}^{k}}{d\,{x}^{k}}\,\beta\left(N,x\right) \right|_{x=2}\right)~~~~\mbox{for }k\in\mathbb{Z^+}\]

\(\beta\) is the Beta function.

Since the integral is set up like the beta function, maybe he was supposed to obtain the solution by induction.

dwsmith said:
Since the integral is set up like the beta function, maybe he was supposed to obtain the solution by induction.

Hi dwsmith, (Wave)

Yes, maybe. But without knowing the answer it is impossible to use the induction method. Isn't?

Gamma function [tex]\Gamma (z) = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t} t^{z-1} dt [/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} x((- \ln x )^k) (1-x)^{n-1} dx [/tex]

Let [tex] u = - \ln x \Rightarrow x = e^{-u} \Rightarrow dx = - e^{-u} du [/tex]

[tex]x = 0 \rightarrow u = \infty , x = 1 \rightarrow u = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\int_{\infty}^{0} e^{-u} (u^k )(1-e^{-u})^n(-e^{-u}) du [/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2u} (u^k )(1-e^{-u})^n du [/tex]

Note that
[tex](1-e^{-u})^n = \sum_{i=0}^{n} \dbinom{n}{i} (-1)^i (e^{-u})^i [/tex]

and [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-at} t^{z-1} dt = \frac{\Gamma (z)}{a} [/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2u} (u^k )(1-e^{-u})^n du = \sum_{i=0}^{n} (-1)^i \int_{0}^{\infty} (u^k)(e^{-u(2+i)}) du [/tex]

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} (-1)^i \int_{0}^{\infty} (u^k)(e^{-u(2+i)}) du =
\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^i\Gamma (k+1)}{2+i}[/tex]

I solved it for n instead of n-1

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

To Amer: Thanks for ur method. But some mistakes are here and there like.
Amer said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-at} t^{z-1} dt = \frac{\Gamma (z)}{a} [/tex]

which is in fact [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-at} t^{z-1} dt = \frac{\Gamma (z)}{a^z} [/tex]regards,
Bincy

Related to Definite Integral: x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1)

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two specified points. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is calculated by adding up infinitely small rectangles under the curve.

2. What is x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1)?

x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1) is a mathematical function that can be used to model various real-life situations. It consists of three parts: x, -ln(x)^k, and (1-x)^(N-1). The value of k and N determines the shape of the curve.

3. How is x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1) related to definite integral?

x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1) is an integrand that can be integrated using the definite integral. When the definite integral is applied to this function, it calculates the area under the curve between two specified points.

4. What are the applications of x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1)?

x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1) has various applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to model growth and decay processes, population growth, and financial investments.

5. How do you calculate the definite integral of x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1)?

To calculate the definite integral of x(-ln(x)^k)(1-x)^(N-1), you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use online calculators or software to find the numerical value of the integral.