Definite integral with square on bottom

In summary, the person is trying to solve a homework problem from a book and is having difficulty. They are missing a step and are not sure how to change the equation to get the answer.
dlthompson81

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_{1/2}^{\sqrt{3}/2}\frac{6}{\sqrt{1-t^2}}dt[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, this is an odd problem I'm working from the book. The book says the answer is [itex]\pi[/itex].

First I tried getting rid of the fraction:

[itex]\frac{6}{\sqrt{1-t^2}}dt[/itex] = [itex]\frac{6}{(1-t^{2})^{1/2}}[/itex] = [itex]6(1-t^{2})^{-1/2}[/itex]

I think I may be getting this next step wrong, but next, I did this:

= [itex]6(1^{1/2}-t^{3/2})[/itex] = [itex]6^{1/2}-6t^{3/2}[/itex]

Which I integrated to:

[itex]6t^{1/2} - \frac{12}{5}t^{5/2}[/itex]

I can't seem to plug in my numbers and get [itex]\pi[/itex] though.

Where did I mess up so far?

Thanks for taking the time to read through my poor attempt at solving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlthompson81 said:
I think I may be getting this next step wrong, but next, I did this:

This step is wrong. I can't even see what you did there. :frown:
Basically, you cannot get rid of the square root by splitting it over a sum, something like that is not allowed.

Try to do a trigonometric substitution. A subsitution like t=sin(u)

[itex]6(1-t^{2})^{-1/2}[/itex]

I tried to take the -1/2 exponent and add it to the 1-t^2 which gave me this:

I figured I was doing it wrong, but my problem is that I'm not quite sure how to integrate [itex]6(1-t^{2})^{-1/2}[/itex]

I'm not really sure how to change it into another form either.

micromass said:
This step is wrong. I can't even see what you did there. :frown:
Basically, you cannot get rid of the square root by splitting it over a sum, something like that is not allowed.

Try to do a trigonometric substitution. A subsitution like t=sin(u)

I'm not sure I understand how substituting in sin would help.

dlthompson81 said:
I'm not sure I understand how substituting in sin would help.

It would get rid of the square root...

What happens if you substitute in sin(u)??

factor out the 6, then the integral become arcsin(t)

I don't think we have covered anything on arcsin yet. I'm only in Calculus 2. If I should know that at this level, I guess one of my teachers let me down.

Well I had AP Calculus last year and we covered that, but I'm in Calculus 2 this year and we haven't gotten that far yet in class but it'll come up later. Same thing with trig substitutions as someone previously stated.

Have you had substitution yet?

Do as micromass suggested. Let t=sin(u) , then dt = cos(u) du .

Yes, that's equivalent to letting u = arcsin(t), but you won't need that fact until plugging-in the limits of integration, and at that point it should pose no problem.

BTW, 1 - sin2(θ) = cos2(θ) .

Nope. We haven't had substitutions yet either. It looks like that is the next chapter we will cover if we stick to the order of the book.

dlthompson81 said:
Nope. We haven't had substitutions yet either. It looks like that is the next chapter we will cover if we stick to the order of the book.

OK, so you can't use substitution??

Well, do you have a list of standard integrals, then??

After looking through the book, I found a table of integrals that has the inverse sin function. I don't seem to have the inverse ones in my notes. I don't know how I missed that. I got it figured out now. Thanks for the help.

Related to Definite integral with square on bottom

What is a definite integral with a square on the bottom?

A definite integral with a square on the bottom is a type of mathematical function that involves finding the area under a curve that is defined by a fraction with a squared term in the denominator. It is represented by the notation ∫(f(x)/g(x)^2)dx, where f(x) and g(x) are functions of x.

How is a definite integral with a square on the bottom different from a regular definite integral?

A definite integral with a square on the bottom is different from a regular definite integral because it involves finding the area under a curve that is defined by a fraction with a squared term in the denominator. This means that the curve is not a simple polynomial, and the integration process is more complex.

What are some real-world applications of definite integrals with squares on the bottom?

Definite integrals with squares on the bottom have many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving motion and work. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force on an object, or the distance traveled by an object with varying acceleration.

How do you solve a definite integral with a square on the bottom?

To solve a definite integral with a square on the bottom, you can use the substitution method or the partial fraction decomposition method. These techniques involve transforming the integrand into a simpler form that can then be integrated using standard integration rules.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with definite integrals with squares on the bottom?

One common mistake when working with definite integrals with squares on the bottom is forgetting to use the chain rule when integrating the squared term. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and ensure that they are properly substituted in the final answer. Additionally, it is important to be familiar with the properties of definite integrals, such as linearity and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, to avoid errors in the integration process.