Definite Integral Verification

In summary, it seems that the definite integral of the given function from 0 to infinity is not exactly equal to 1. There may be some rounding errors or limitations due to computation time and precision. It is suggested to use Maple or Wolfram Alpha Pro for more accurate results.
Saracen Rue
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find the definite integral of a function (see attached image) from 0 to infinity using Wolfram alpha. I'm just looking for some verification on if the integral actual is equal to exactly 1, or if there's some rounding errors going on.

Thank you for your time :)
Screenshot_20190331-111946_Chrome.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a guess on my part, but the person who made up the problem may have done a numerical integration, and found the answer to be such that multiplying by the fraction 50,000/98713 made it very close to 1. Perhaps there is a way to evaluate it in closed form, but it is beyond my capabilities.

Charles Link said:
This is just a guess on my part, but the person who made up the problem may have done a numerical integration, and found the answer to be such that multiplying by the fraction 50,000/98713 made it very close to 1. Perhaps there is a way to evaluate it in closed form, but it is beyond my capabilities.
Thanks for your insight :)

The part that's confusing me is that Wolfram Alpha is usually very good with these type of problems and would provide an answer correct to 100+ decimal places. The fact that it seems to just be rounding it to '1' is quite unusal.

Prehapa the problem is that I don't have Wolfram Alpha Pro which allows for extended computation time. If anyone with Pro does read this, please try computing this question for me and let me know if it provides a different answer or not. Thank you :)

Saracen Rue said:
Thanks for your insight :)

The part that's confusing me is that Wolfram Alpha is usually very good with these type of problems and would provide an answer correct to 100+ decimal places. The fact that it seems to just be rounding it to '1' is quite unusal.

Prehapa the problem is that I don't have Wolfram Alpha Pro which allows for extended computation time. If anyone with Pro does read this, please try computing this question for me and let me know if it provides a different answer or not. Thank you :)

The result is not exactly 1.0000 ... Here is a computation using Maple, set to 30-digit precision.

restart;
k:=50000/98713;

k := -----

> f0:=arccot(x*coth(1/x));

f0 := arccot(x coth(1/x))

> Digits:=30;

Digits := 30

> evalf(Int(f0,x=0..infinity));

> J0:=%;

J0 := 1.97425968165579173304278091386

> k*J0;

Likes Charles Link

Related to Definite Integral Verification

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the total accumulated value of a function over a given interval.

2. What is the purpose of verifying a definite integral?

The purpose of verifying a definite integral is to ensure that the calculated area under the curve is accurate and that the integral is solved correctly. It is important to verify the integral to avoid errors and to have confidence in the results.

3. How do you verify a definite integral?

To verify a definite integral, you can use several methods such as the geometric interpretation, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, or the Riemann Sum. These methods involve breaking down the integral into smaller parts and calculating the area under the curve using different techniques to ensure accuracy.

4. What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

The main difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral is that a definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. A definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

5. Why is it important to understand definite integrals in science?

Definite integrals are essential in science because they are used to calculate various physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and work. They are also used in many scientific equations and models, making them a fundamental concept in many scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.