Definite integral of exp and error function

In summary, the integral can be solved analytically, but integrating over a part of the real line results in erf.
petru
Hi,

I've been trying to evaluate the following integral

[tex] \int_{z}^{\infty}\exp\left(-y^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}\left(b\left(y-c\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}y [/tex]

or equivalently

[tex] \int_{z}^{\infty}\exp\left(-y^{2}\right)\mathrm{erfc}\left(b\left(y-c\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}y [/tex]

[tex]\mathrm{erf}\left(x\right)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{x}\exp\left(-u^{2}\right)\,\mathrm{d}u, \quad\quad \mathrm{erfc}\left(x\right)=1-\mathrm{erf}\left(x\right)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{x}^{+\infty}\exp\left(-u^{2}\right)\,\mathrm{d}u[/tex]

I guess I tried to employ all techniques I'm familiar with but with no result.
Can anyone help me with this one, please?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To the best of my knowledge, it can't be done analytically. I suggest you start with the erf representation and see if the two exponentials might be combined into one, so that you might have an erf for the integral.

Thanks mathman for your reply. I guess I'm not able to deal with this integral. I have a question though. I'm not a mathematician nor a math student so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why the integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-y^{2}\right) \mathrm{erf}\left(b\left(y-c\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}y=-\sqrt{\pi}\,\mathrm{erf}\left(\frac{bc}{\sqrt{1+b^{2}}}\right)[/tex]

can be evaluated quite easily (using differentiation under integral sign method) and the integral from my original post seems to have no analytical solution?

Thanks!

I haven't looked at it in detail, but it looks like the problem is analogous to integrating the Gaussian. When you integrate over the entire real line you get a neat analytic solution, but integrating over part of the line ends up with erf.

Ok, I guess I know what you mean. Thanks again!

Hi !

in attachment, a method for solving the definite integral.

Attachments

• Integral.JPG
    Integral.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,871
Hi JJacquelin! Your post helped me with showing that the constant of integration [tex]C=0[/tex] in a more general formula:

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-b^{2}(x-c)^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}\left(a\left(x-d\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}x=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{b} \mathrm{erf}\left(\frac{ab\left(c-d\right)}{\sqrt{a{}^{2}+b{}^{2}}}\right),\quad b>0
[/tex]

Thank you!

Related to Definite integral of exp and error function

1. What is the definition of a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What is the relationship between the definite integral of exp and the error function?

The error function, also known as the Gauss error function, is closely related to the definite integral of exp. In fact, the error function can be expressed as a definite integral of the exponential function. This relationship is used in statistics and probability to calculate the probability of a certain event occurring within a given range.

3. How is the definite integral of exp and error function calculated?

The definite integral of exp and error function can be calculated using various methods such as numerical integration, integration by parts, and substitution. It is a complex calculation and may require advanced mathematical techniques depending on the specific function and interval.

4. What are some real-world applications of the definite integral of exp and error function?

The definite integral of exp and error function has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, calculate probabilities, and solve differential equations, among other things.

5. How can I use the definite integral of exp and error function in my research or work?

If you are working in a field that involves data analysis, modeling, or solving complex equations, understanding the concept of definite integral of exp and error function can be extremely useful. It can help you make accurate predictions, analyze data, and solve problems that would otherwise be difficult to solve using traditional methods.