Definite Integral of Both Sides

In summary, the conversation was about integrating equations with definite limits and a request for help with understanding the process. The writer also asked for a review of their integration solutions. Their solutions for the first two equations were correct, but the third one was unclear and needed clarification on the placement of the sin term.
SherwinS

Homework Statement

"Integrate both sides of these equations from some starting point to some ending point (such as t0 to t): r dt = d[A], C dt = dH and dw = (nRT/V) dV

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm have trouble understanding the concept of taking the definite integral of both sides using the same starting points for both sides. If someone could guide me on how to do one of these, I'll be able to finally do the rest. Thanks!

As a side note, can someone check my integration of these? :)
dy = 3 sin 2x dx ---> -3/2 cos 2x + C
df = -2 cos (x/2) dx ---> 4 sin (x/2) + C
dP = A sin^2 (kx) dx ---> A/2 (x - 1/2ksin (2kx)) + C

Physics news on Phys.org
If you differentiate your three solutions then you could check them yourself.

The first two look okay. The third looks ambiguous. Is the sin in the numerator or denominator?

Maybe you can show your attempt before someone shows you how.

Sorry, 1/2k is the coefficient, sin is in the numerator. Yes I've differentiated them already and come up with the right result, but I always feel it's better to have another pair of eyes glaze over them. :)

Related to Definite Integral of Both Sides

1. What is the purpose of taking the definite integral of both sides?

The purpose of taking the definite integral of both sides is to solve for the area under a curve (represented by the integral) and find a specific numerical value for this area. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as calculating displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics or finding the total cost or revenue in economics.

2. How is the definite integral of both sides different from the indefinite integral?

The definite integral of both sides involves finding the specific numerical value for the area under a curve within a given interval, while the indefinite integral involves finding a general antiderivative of a function without specifying a particular interval. In other words, the definite integral gives a precise answer, while the indefinite integral gives a function as an answer.

3. What is the process for solving a definite integral of both sides?

The process for solving a definite integral of both sides involves first finding the antiderivative of the function on one side of the equation, then substituting the upper and lower limits of the integral into the antiderivative, and finally subtracting the result of the lower limit from the result of the upper limit.

4. Can the definite integral of both sides be used to solve equations?

Yes, the definite integral of both sides can be used to solve equations, particularly when the equation involves a variable within the integral. By taking the definite integral of both sides and solving for the variable, the equation can be solved for a specific numerical value.

5. Are there any limitations to using the definite integral of both sides?

One limitation of using the definite integral of both sides is that it can only be applied to continuous functions, meaning that there cannot be any breaks or discontinuities in the function. Additionally, the limits of the integral must be within the domain of the function in order for the integral to exist and have a numerical value.