Definite double integral of e^x^2

In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of x^2*e^(y^2) over two different regions of the xy-plane. Possible approaches include substitution and changing the order of integration.
dobedobedo
Hi guise. I just encountered a problem which I sincerely don't know how to attack. I don't know what kind of variable substitution would help me to solve this problem... It's that goddamn e^x^2 which is a part of the integrand... I don't know if I should use polar coordinates either... Please help!

[itex]\int_{1}^{2} (\int_{x}^{x^3}x^2 e^{y^2}dy)dx + \int_{2}^{8} (\int_{x}^{8}x^2 e^{y^2}dy)dx[/itex]

P.s. The answer is supposedly equal to (1/6)(62e^64+e).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a method of solution (if there exists one), but I can tell you for sure it's incorrect to compute the integral wrt y in <polar coordinates>.

dobedobedo said:
Hi guise.
I'm not a costume. :-p

I just encountered a problem which I sincerely don't know how to attack. I don't know what kind of variable substitution would help me to solve this problem... It's that [edited for language] e^x^2 which is a part of the integrand
The obvious things to try, then, would be [itex]u = x^2[/itex] and [itex]u = e^{x^2}[/itex].

Another common trick is to swap the order of integration and hope you get something simpler out.

I tried the substitution u= x^2, v= e^(y^2). The Jacobian had the value 1/(4xy*e^(y^2)). So far so good. But then I get...
[itex]\frac{1}{4} \int_{1}^{4} (\int_{e^u}^{e^{u^3}}(\frac{u^{1/2}}{ln(v)^{1/2}})dv)du +\frac{1}{4} \int_{2}^{8^{2}} (\int_{e^u}^{e^{8^2}}(\frac{u^{1/2}}{ln(v)^{1/2}})dv)du[/itex]

Which is a complete**#@* mess.And integrating with respect to x first would not be sufficient to eliminate all expressions containing x from the integrand of neither the first nor second term.

Last edited:
I was just thinking one thing... Let the set of points (region, whatever... you get the idea) which the first term is to be integrated over be denoted A.

Then A = {(x,y): x ≤ y ≤ x^3, 1 ≤ x ≤ 2}. Let the set of points that the second term is integrated over be denoted B.
Then B = {(x,y): x ≤ y≤ 8, 2 ≤ x ≤ 8}.

It becomes clear that these two regions of points in the xy-plane intersect at the line x=2. Is it possible to... somehow... reexpress the boundaries for y and x in a way which JUST MAYBE makes the integration easier? Is it possible to "merge" the two terms into one term, with modified integration intervals?

I don't know people... but this problem is supposed to have a solution without the necessity of fancy mathematical methods... but those are welcome as well! As long as they are thoroughly explained. <3

I tried the substitution u=x^2 and v= y^2, but that didn't help either... I always get to the goddamn errorfunction which I basically don't know anything about. This **** is supposed to be solved with elementary functions. Not the error function...

Try changing the order of integration. The first integral has y going from x to x3 and x from 1 to 2. So swapping the order of integration would give
[tex]\int_{y= 1}^8\int_{x= y^{1/3}}^y x^2e^{y^2}dxdy= \frac{1}{3}\int_1^8 (y^3- y)e^{y^2}dy[/tex]

Since we now have odd powers of y, we can write that as
[tex]\frac{1}{3}\int_1^8 (y^2- 1)e^{y^2}(ydy)[/tex]
and use the substitution [itex]u= y^2[/itex] so that du= 2ydy and the integral becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{6}\int_1^{64} (u- 1)e^u du[/tex]

Related to Definite double integral of e^x^2

1. What is a definite double integral?

A definite double integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the total area between a function and two sets of boundaries, usually represented by x and y values.

2. How is e^x^2 related to definite double integrals?

e^x^2 is a function that can be used as the integrand (the function being integrated) in a definite double integral. When integrated, it represents the total area between the curve of the function and the two sets of boundaries.

3. What is the process for solving a definite double integral of e^x^2?

The process for solving a definite double integral of e^x^2 involves setting up the integral with the appropriate boundaries for x and y, and then using integration techniques to solve the integral. This may involve using substitution, integration by parts, or other methods depending on the complexity of the integral.

4. What are some real-world applications of definite double integrals of e^x^2?

Definite double integrals of e^x^2 have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate the volume of objects with complex shapes, determine the center of mass of an object, and solve other problems involving areas and volumes.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using definite double integrals of e^x^2?

Yes, there are certain limitations and restrictions when using definite double integrals of e^x^2. These include the need for the function to be continuous and bounded within the given boundaries, and the requirement for the boundaries to be well-defined and non-overlapping.