Define curl rotation per area

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of curl, which is a measure of infinitesimal rotation or rotation per area. The formula for the k-component of curl in a 2-dimensional universe involves taking the tangential component of the velocity of a liquid and integrating it over an imaginary circle. In electrical engineering, the curl is important in calculating induced voltage in a loop of wire wound around an iron core. The formula for curl, which includes a limit, represents the amount of motion in a circle of radius r as r approaches 0.
Nikitin
define curl "rotation per area"

When they define curl, they say it is a measure of "infinitesimal rotation", or "rotation per area".

What does that mean? Does it mean they measure how much something goes around in an infinitesimal point (which makes no sense), kind of like a whirlwind shrunk down? Or do they mean its the measure of how much something changes its direction, or "bends", at any point?

Second, can you guys give me an intuitive explanation for the following formula?

"The k-component of the curl of a vector field F = M*i + N*j at the point (x,y) is the scalar:
(Curl F)*k = ∂N/∂x - ∂M/∂y"

I sense that this formula represents how much the M and N components change direction, ie how much they bend, but I cannot get it down on paper..

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I can give you an example from physics.
Curl can be defined for an arbitary number of dimensions. I'm going to do this in 2 dimensions to make it easier to describe. So imagine you are in a 2 dimensional universe.
Let's say you have a liquid and there are turbulences in the flow of that liquid. That flow can be represented as a vector field where each vector represents the velocity of the liquid at that point. Now draw a circle anywhere in the liquid. That circle is not going to affect the flow. It's just an imaginary circle. At the surface of that circle the liquid may flow in different directions. Take the component of the liquids velocity that's tangential to the circle and integrate it over the circumference. What you got now is the integral of the curl over the entire area of the circle. If you want the curl at a specific point you need to make the circle infinitesimally small.
The curl is also important in electrical engineering. In a transfomer you have a circular electric field going around the iron core. A loop of wire that's wound around the core will therefore have a voltage induced that's equivalent to the integral of the curl of the electric field inside the loop.

Thanks! could you offer insight on why the formula Curl(F)=∇×F/formula in my OP makes sense?

Any mention of "infinitesmal" in basic Caluculus is shorthand for a limit. It is essentially saying that if you calculated the "amount of motion" in a circle of radius r, then took the limit as r goes to 0, you would get the curl.

Related to Define curl rotation per area

1. What is the definition of curl rotation per area?

Curl rotation per area, also known as vorticity, is a measure of the local rotation of a fluid per unit area. It is a vector quantity that describes the circulation of a fluid around a given point.

2. How is curl rotation per area calculated?

Curl rotation per area is calculated by taking the cross product of the velocity and the gradient of the velocity at a specific point in a fluid. This is represented by the equation: ω = ∇ x V, where ω is the curl, ∇ is the gradient operator, and V is the velocity vector.

3. What are the units of curl rotation per area?

The units of curl rotation per area are typically expressed in radians per second per meter (rad/s/m) or degrees per second per meter (°/s/m).

4. What is the significance of curl rotation per area in fluid dynamics?

Curl rotation per area is an important quantity in fluid dynamics as it describes the local rotation of a fluid, which can help predict the behavior and movement of the fluid. It is also closely related to the concept of circulation, which is used to analyze and understand fluid flows.

5. Can curl rotation per area be negative?

Yes, curl rotation per area can be negative. A negative value indicates that the fluid is rotating in the opposite direction of the cross product of the velocity and the gradient of the velocity. This can happen in certain flow conditions, such as when there is a strong shear in the fluid.