Defination of eFz in Hamiltonian

In summary, the potential energy of charge e, at location z, due to the external electric field F(z) is given by: eFz.
wlzy
defination of "eFz" in Hamiltonian

I want to know the defination of "eFz" in Hamiltonian for the electron and LO-phonon interaction in electric field, does "z" show the position of the electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the electron–longitudinal optical phonon interaction equation, what should the terms of the Hamiltonian be?

Looking at "eFz", could the z be a subscript? Is F a force, and is e a charge?

This paper might be of interest -
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1992PhRvB..45.4151N

and perhaps this one -
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=PRBMDO000069000011115328000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

Last edited by a moderator:
wlzy said:
I want to know the defination of "eFz" in Hamiltonian for the electron and LO-phonon interaction in electric field, does "z" show the position of the electron?

This is such an ill-defined post!

Please EXPLAIN and put some effort into describing your question in detail. In many text and papers, often "F" is defined as the electric field (don't believe me, look at the Fowler-Nordheim paper, and most text that discuss this). So I can easily interpret "eFz" as the potential energy. But this does not tell me anything about how you have oriented "z" (along the chain?).

If you wish someone to put effort and time into responding and doing you a favor, the least you could do is describe the problem as complete as you can.

Zz.

wlzy said:
To stress a point made above, this post relies entirely on the reader knowing exactly what the poster has in mind. Many people may be able to help if you provided a reference and/or a more complete description of the system.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I know what you are referring to, but I can't be certain. At this point I second Zz's interpretation. F is a field, and z is a position.

More than that from us will likely be speculation unless you provide a fuller description of the system.

Last edited:
wlzy said:
Here, F is the electric field strength, and e is a charge. I want to know that the z is the position of the electron or the eledtric field?

wlzy said:
Here, F is the electric field strength, and e is a charge. I want to know that the z is the position of the electron or the eledtric field?

Take note that F is actually F(z). So this is already the electric field strength at z. Now put a charge e there. What is the potential energy of charge e, at location z, due to the external electric field F(z)?

Zz(z).

Related to Defination of eFz in Hamiltonian

1. What is the definition of eFz in Hamiltonian?

eFz in Hamiltonian is the electronic force in the z-direction, which represents the force acting on an electron due to the electric field in the z-direction. It is an important component in the Hamiltonian, which is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a system.

2. How is eFz calculated in Hamiltonian?

eFz is calculated by taking the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to the z-position of an electron. This is represented by the equation eFz = -dH/dz, where H is the Hamiltonian.

3. What is the significance of eFz in Hamiltonian?

eFz is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of electrons in a system under the influence of an electric field in the z-direction. It is a crucial factor in many physical phenomena, such as the movement of electrons in a semiconductor or the behavior of atoms in an electric field.

4. How does eFz affect the energy levels in Hamiltonian?

eFz can change the energy levels in Hamiltonian by altering the potential energy of the system. When an electron experiences a force in the z-direction, its potential energy changes, which in turn affects its energy level. This is essential in understanding the electronic structure of atoms and molecules.

5. Can eFz be controlled or manipulated in Hamiltonian?

Yes, eFz can be controlled or manipulated in Hamiltonian by changing the strength or direction of the electric field. This can be done by applying an external electric field or by changing the characteristics of the system, such as its geometry or material properties. This allows us to study the effects of eFz and its influence on the behavior of electrons in a system.