Decreasing strength of magnet by weights

In summary: What is the purpose of doing this? What is the problem you are trying to solve or the end you are trying to achieve?
manp
Hi all

I've been trying to use weights, springs and elastic bands to basically decrease the bonding of a piece of metal and magnet. Basically what I am trying to achieve is as the magnet attracts the metal i want the attraction to weighed down consistently, but I am failing to do this as the items I am using are constant in strength and the magnetic field gets.stronger and stronger the closer it gets (havent figured out how to check strength over length). Os there any other way that i can increase the weighing down towards the end?

Engineering news on Phys.org
manp said:
I've been trying to use weights, springs and elastic bands to basically decrease the bonding of a piece of metal and magnet.
If you apply a force to the metal that opposes the magnetic force, then the net force on the metal is reduced - but the force due to the magnet is not.

Basically what I am trying to achieve is as the magnet attracts the metal i want the attraction to weighed down consistently, but I am failing to do this as the items I am using are constant in strength and the magnetic field gets.stronger and stronger the closer it gets (havent figured out how to check strength over length). Os there any other way that i can increase the weighing down towards the end?
... do you mean that you want the net force on the metal to be a constant with distance from the magnet?

Note: you can get a profile for how the force due to the magnet on the metal varies with position by using a spring.

Simon Bridge said:
If you apply a force to the metal that opposes the magnetic force, then the net force on the metal is reduced - but the force due to the magnet is not.

... do you mean that you want the net force on the metal to be a constant with distance from the magnet?

Note: you can get a profile for how the force due to the magnet on the metal varies with position by using a spring.

Yeh that's what I need, I would like to apply a force to the metal that's constant to the strength of attraction is there any way to do this?

If you put a charge on the metal you could use an electric field to oppose the magnetic field.

Simon Bridge said:
If you put a charge on the metal you could use an electric field to oppose the magnetic field.

I thought about that too and binding a magnet just under the metal piece but i want there to be an attractive force too so if i put a charge on it itl just be repulsion

Could buoyancy work in any way?

manp said:
I thought about that too and binding a magnet just under the metal piece but i want there to be an attractive force too so if i put a charge on it itl just be repulsion
Nonsense. Just use a weaker electric field.
The main advantage here is that you can, in principle, shape the electric field to provide the correct amount of balancing force for the magnet everywhere.

Could buoyancy work in any way?
You would face the same problem as with the weights - the buoyancy force will be a constant but the magnetic force varies with position.

If you just want a constant "action at a distance" type force, then you can build uniform fields easily enough.

What are you trying to achieve?

time delayed action;4794155]Nonsense. Just use a weaker electric field.
The main advantage here is that you can, in principle, shape the electric field to provide the correct amount of balancing force for the magnet everywhere.

You would face the same problem as with the weights - the buoyancy force will be a constant but the magnetic force varies with position.

If you just want a constant "action at a distance" type force, then you can build uniform fields easily enough.

What are you trying to achieve?[/QUOTE]

Thanks again. I am trying to attract the piece withthe magnet so there is a directional movement, once the bonding has occurred id like an opposing force ever so slightly less than the attraction so there is still bonding. The idea which you proposed is good but will there be a directional movement then the opposing force? I think what i ideally need is a time delayed action, is there anything you could recommend mechanically?

Im trying to attract the piece withthe magnet so there is a directional movement, once the bonding has occurred id like an opposing force ever so slightly less than the attraction so there is still bonding.
... yes but why? What is the purpose of doing this? What is the problem you are trying to solve or the end you are trying to achieve?

The idea which you proposed is good but will there be a directional movement then the opposing force? I think what i ideally need is a time delayed action, is there anything you could recommend mechanically?
Of course!
You can make the electric field produce any force you like on the charged metal, at any position.
As long as the E-force is less than the B-force, the metal will accelerate in the direction of the (residual) B-force.

If you like, you can arrange for a strong E field close to the pole of the magnet where contact occurs so that the resulting E-force will be almost the same, but slightly less than, the B-force at contact.

You could also just switch the E-field on and off when you need it - put it on a timer if you like or put a switch on the magnet so when contact is made, the E-field switches on. In fact this is easier than trying to maintain a constant force.

For that matter - if you use electromagnets instead of permanent magnets, you can just switch them on and off as you will.

I just realized why i couldn't do the above method, i need to use a spherical magnet lol any other ideas? The task is part of my project in physics class

Not without details.

Related to Decreasing strength of magnet by weights

What causes a magnet to lose its strength when weights are added?

The addition of weights to a magnet changes the magnetic field around it. This change in the magnetic field can cause the alignment of the magnetic domains within the magnet to become disordered, resulting in a decrease in magnetic strength.

How much weight can a magnet withstand before its strength decreases significantly?

The amount of weight a magnet can withstand before experiencing a decrease in strength depends on several factors, such as the type and strength of the magnet, the material it is made of, and the distribution of weight across its surface. In general, the more weight that is added, the greater the decrease in magnetic strength will be.

Can a magnet regain its strength after weight is removed?

Yes, a magnet can regain some of its strength after weight is removed. This is because the magnetic domains within the magnet can realign themselves over time, restoring some of the magnet's original strength. However, the strength may not return to its original level, depending on the amount of weight that was added and the duration of time it was applied.

How does the shape of a magnet affect its strength when weights are added?

The shape of a magnet can greatly affect its strength when weights are added. Magnets with a larger surface area will typically experience a greater decrease in strength when weights are added, as the weight is distributed over a larger area. Additionally, certain shapes, such as horseshoe or bar magnets, are more resistant to changes in magnetic strength compared to other shapes.

Are there any methods to prevent a magnet from losing its strength when weights are added?

There are a few methods that can help prevent a magnet from losing its strength when weights are added. One method is to evenly distribute the weights across the surface of the magnet, rather than placing them all in one spot. Additionally, using a magnet with a stronger magnetic field or a different material, such as neodymium or samarium cobalt, can also help prevent a significant decrease in strength when weights are added.