Decrease in Pressure Above a Lake

In summary, the approximate decrease in pressure when going 31 m above the surface of the lake can be calculated using the equation P = pgh, where P is the change in pressure, p is the density of air, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. In this case, the density of air is given as 1.2 kg/mcubed and the height is 31 m. Therefore, the change in pressure is 364.56 Pa. The atmospheric pressure of 104 kPa does not need to be considered in this calculation.
dvolpe

Homework Statement

What is the approximate decrease in pressure in going 31 m above the surface of the lake? Air at 20 degrees C has density of 1.2 kg/mcubed. The pressure at the surface of the lake is 104 kPa

Homework Equations

Pressure = F/Area
Force = density*area*height*g
Pressure = density*height*g = pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

P = 1.2 * 9.8 * 31 m = 364.56 Pa

These doesn't seem right in comparison to the surface of lake. What about atmospheric pressure? Does that need to be considered here as there is a pressure decrease?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have calculate the change in pressure from 31 meter of air, so if you start at 104 kPa and move up 31 meter, then what is the absolute pressure there?

Does this mean that the pressure at 31 m above lake = atm pressure + pressure on surface area of lake? How do I calculate atmospheric pressure?

So if P = Patm + Plake then isn't P atm = pgh and that is the decrease?

Last edited:
dvolpe said:
Does this mean that the pressure at 31 m above lake = atm pressure + pressure on surface area of lake? How do I calculate atmospheric pressure?

So if P = Patm + Plake then isn't P atm = pgh and that is the decrease?

No, the pressure at the lake surface is the atmospheric pressure (here given as 104 kPa). I can see that I probably have added some to you confusion. Given the equations you posted, you have correctly calculated the decrease in pressure going up 31 m, and this is what the problem text is asking.

You then ask if this can be correct since you are not using the 104 kPa information, and I think I probably answered something else on that, sorry. Let me try to do better: No, in the context of the problem text where the density is a given number you do not need to consider the atmospheric pressure of 104 kPa.

In case the density was not given and the pressure at the lake was significantly different from standard pressure (101.3 kPa) it would then be prudent to calculate the density given the absolute pressure and temperature of the air (for instance assuming an ideal gas). If you want to be even more accurate, there are more complex equations for calculating the atmospheric pressure based on gas theory that requires, amongst others, the surface level pressure and temperature (see for instance [1]), but I would guess that would be a fair bit of overkill in this case and the difference most likely wouldn't matter much over 31 m anyway.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula

As a scientist, it is important to consider all factors and variables in a problem. In this case, the decrease in pressure above a lake is affected by both the height above the surface and the atmospheric pressure. The pressure at the surface of the lake is already taking into account the atmospheric pressure, so we cannot simply subtract it from our calculation.

To calculate the decrease in pressure, we can use the equation P = ρgh, where ρ is the density of air, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height above the surface. In this case, we have all the necessary information except for the height above the surface.

To find the height, we can use the equation P = ρgh and rearrange it to solve for h, giving us h = P/(ρg). Plugging in the given values, we get h = (104 kPa)/(1.2 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2) = 8.67 m.

Therefore, the approximate decrease in pressure in going 31 m above the surface of the lake is 104 kPa - 8.67 m * 1.2 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2 = 94.3 kPa. This is a significant decrease in pressure, which is why it is important to consider all factors when solving scientific problems.

Related to Decrease in Pressure Above a Lake

1. What causes a decrease in pressure above a lake?

The decrease in pressure above a lake is primarily caused by the weight of the air above the lake, known as atmospheric pressure. As altitude increases, the weight of the air decreases, resulting in lower pressure.

2. How does the decrease in pressure above a lake affect weather patterns?

The decrease in pressure above a lake can lead to changes in weather patterns. Low pressure systems above lakes can cause storms and strong winds, while high pressure systems can bring calm and clear weather.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure above a lake?

Temperature and pressure are directly related. As temperature increases, the air molecules in the atmosphere expand, causing an increase in pressure. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the air molecules contract, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

4. How does the decrease in pressure above a lake affect the water level?

The decrease in pressure above a lake can cause the water level to rise. This is because as the atmospheric pressure decreases, the water is able to expand and take up more space, leading to a higher water level.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with a decrease in pressure above a lake?

Yes, there are safety concerns associated with a decrease in pressure above a lake. The lower atmospheric pressure can make it more difficult for humans to breathe, especially at high altitudes. It can also lead to increased risk of altitude sickness and other health problems.