Decomposition of SU(3) and particles

In summary, the algebra of SU(3) contains two Cartan generators and 6 raising and lowering operators. The eigenstates of the Cartan operators are u, d, and s, corresponding to the three lightest quarks. When studying the 3\otimes 3 tensor product, the Hilbert space of these states can be decomposed into 8\oplus 1, allowing for two invariant subspaces. Similarly, for baryons, the decomposition of 3\otimes 3\otimes 3 results in 10\oplus 8\oplus 8\oplus 1. There is a correspondence between these groups of particles and the above Hilbert spaces, with mes
Roumpedakis
As we know the algebra of SU(3) consist of two Cartan generators and 6 raising and lowering operators. We define the eigenstates of the Cartan operators as u,d,s, correspoding to the three lightest quarks.
Now when we study the [itex] 3\otimes 3[/itex] tensor product we can show that the Hilbert space of these states decompose as
[itex]3\otimes 3 = 8\oplus 1[/itex]
Which means that we can divide this Hilbert into two invariant subspaces.
And similar for baryons
[itex]3\otimes 3\otimes 3=10\oplus 8 \oplus 8\oplus 1[/itex]
My question is following. We can categorize the mesons in two multiplets of 8 particles and 1 singlet, and the baryons in one multiplet of 10 particles, one of 8 particles and one singlet. So is not obvious to me which is the correspondence between these groups of particles and the above Hilbert spaces. If the decomposition of [itex] 3\otimes 3[/itex] has one 8-plet why we have two mesons diagrams and for baryons why we have only one 8-plet of particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the [itex]J^{P}[/itex] quantum numbers. Mesons have [itex]0^{-}[/itex] and [itex]1^{-}[/itex] octets; the vector meson octet ([itex]1^{-}[/itex]) carries a single space-time index; transforms as a Lotentz vector hence the name “vector meson”. In terms the [itex]SU_{f}(3)[/itex] quark fields, the vector mesons have the following combinations
[tex]\{8\}_{\mu}^{i} \sim \bar{q}(x) \lambda^{i}\gamma_{\mu} q(x),[/tex]
[tex]\{1\}_{\mu} \sim \bar{q}(x)\gamma_{\mu}q(x),[/tex]

compared with pseudoscalar mesons ([itex]0^{-}[/itex]) singlet and octet;
[tex]\{1\} \sim \bar{q}(x)q(x) = \bar{u}u + \bar{d}d + \bar{s}s,[/tex]
[tex]\{8\}^{rs} \sim \bar{q}(x)R_{(a)}( \lambda ) q(x), \ \ r,s = 1,2,3[/tex]
where
[tex]
R_{(a)}(\lambda) = \lambda^{3}, \lambda^{8}, (\lambda^{i} \pm \lambda^{i+1}); i = 1,4,6
[/tex]

Sam

Last edited:

Related to Decomposition of SU(3) and particles

What is SU(3) decomposition?

SU(3) decomposition is a mathematical process used to break down a representation of the special unitary group SU(3) into its irreducible components.

Why is SU(3) decomposition important in particle physics?

SU(3) decomposition is important in particle physics because it allows us to understand the symmetries and interactions between fundamental particles, particularly quarks and gluons, which are described by the SU(3) symmetry group.

What are the applications of SU(3) decomposition?

SU(3) decomposition has applications in various areas, including quantum chromodynamics, nuclear physics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in the study of hadron structure and the classification of particles.

How is SU(3) decomposition performed?

SU(3) decomposition is performed using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which describe how the SU(3) symmetry is broken down into its irreducible representations. This process involves finding the appropriate basis states and calculating the coefficients for each component of the representation.

What is the connection between SU(3) decomposition and the Eightfold Way?

The Eightfold Way, proposed by Murray Gell-Mann and Yuval Ne'eman, is a classification scheme for hadrons based on their SU(3) symmetries. SU(3) decomposition is used to understand the patterns and relationships between the different types of hadrons, providing support for the Eightfold Way framework.