Decomposing the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl Spinors

In summary, we decompose the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl spinors and use properties of the gamma matrices to simplify the expression. Finally, we can write the expression in terms of the Weyl spinors using the given definitions of the sigma matrices.
latentcorpse
If we take the the Dirac Lagrangian and decompose into Weyl spinors we find

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \bar{\psi} ( i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu - m ) \psi = i U^\dagger_- \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu u_- + i u^\dagger_+ \bar{\sigma}^\mu \partial_\mu u_+ - m(u^\dagger_+ u_- + u^\dagger_- u_+ ) =0[/itex]

So far I have that since [itex]\psi= \begin{pmatrix} u_+ \\ u_- \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{\psi} = \psi^\dagger \gamma^0[/itex],

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \begin{pmatrix} u^\dagger_+ & u^\dagger_- \end{pmatrix} \gamma^0 ( i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu - m ) \begin{pmatrix} u_+ \\ u_- \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
[itex]= i u^\dagger_+ \gamma^0 \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu u_+ + i u^\dagger_- \gamma^0 \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu u_- - m ( u^\dagger_+ u_+ + u^\dagger_- u_- ) [/itex]

But I can't get anywhere near the answer from here...

Oh and we define [itex]\sigma^\mu = (1, \sigma_i) , \bar{\sigma}^\mu = ( 1 , - \sigma^i )[/itex]

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To continue from where you left off, we can use the properties of the gamma matrices to simplify the expression further. Firstly, we can use the fact that $\gamma^0 \gamma^\mu = \bar{\sigma}^\mu \sigma^0$ and $\gamma^0 \gamma^\mu = \sigma^\mu \bar{\sigma}^0$ to rewrite the expression as:

$\mathcal{L} = i u^\dagger_+ \sigma^0 \bar{\sigma}^\mu \partial_\mu u_+ + i u^\dagger_- \sigma^0 \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu u_- - m ( u^\dagger_+ u_+ + u^\dagger_- u_- ) $

Next, we can use the fact that $\sigma^0 = \bar{\sigma}^0 = \mathbb{1}$ to simplify the expression even further:

$\mathcal{L} = i u^\dagger_+ \bar{\sigma}^\mu \partial_\mu u_+ + i u^\dagger_- \sigma^\mu \partial_\mu u_- - m ( u^\dagger_+ u_+ + u^\dagger_- u_- ) $

Finally, we can use the definition of the sigma matrices given in the forum post to write the expression in terms of the Weyl spinors:

$\mathcal{L} = i u^\dagger_+ \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -\sigma^i \end{pmatrix} \partial_\mu u_+ + i u^\dagger_- \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & \sigma^i \end{pmatrix} \partial_\mu u_- - m ( u^\dagger_+ u_+ + u^\dagger_- u_- ) $

I hope this helps you continue with your calculations. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Related to Decomposing the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl Spinors

1. What is the Dirac Lagrangian?

The Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical equation used in quantum field theory to describe the dynamics of particles with spin 1/2, such as electrons. It is based on the Dirac equation, which was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s.

2. Why is it important to decompose the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl spinors?

Decomposing the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl spinors allows for a more elegant and concise representation of the underlying symmetries in the equation. This can make it easier to solve and analyze and can also provide a deeper understanding of the physical principles at play.

3. How is the decomposition of the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl spinors accomplished?

The decomposition is accomplished by splitting the Dirac spinor into its left- and right-handed components, known as Weyl spinors. This can be achieved through the use of projection operators and results in a more symmetric form of the Lagrangian.

4. What are the implications of decomposing the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl spinors?

Decomposing the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl spinors has several implications, including a better understanding of the underlying symmetry of the equation, the ability to simplify and solve the equation more easily, and the potential for new insights into fundamental physical principles.

5. Are there any real-world applications of decomposing the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl spinors?

Yes, the decomposition of the Dirac Lagrangian into Weyl spinors has been used in various areas of theoretical physics, including the Standard Model of particle physics and the study of quantum chromodynamics. It also has applications in condensed matter physics and the study of topological insulators.