Deceleration (Driving a Car-Help)

In summary, the problem involves a driver trying to avoid hitting a deer on the road. The driver's reaction time is 0.5 seconds and the maximum deceleration of their car is 10m/s. Using the equation d=v0*t+1/2a*t^2, the distance between the car and the deer when it comes to a stop is found to be 26.25m. The driver's initial calculation of 8.75m was incorrect because they did not account for the additional distance the car would travel before beginning to stop. Using the equation v_f^2 - v_i^2 = 2ad, the driver correctly calculates that they need a distance of 1m to avoid hitting the
Kalie
Deceleration (Driving a Car--Help)

You're driving down the highway late one night at 20m/s when a deer steps onto the road 35m in front of you. Your reaction time before stepping on the brakes is .5s, and the maximum deceleration of your car is 10m/s.

A. How much distance is between you and the deer when you come to a stop?
B. What is the maximum speed you could have and still not hit the deer?

So I don't think I started the problem correctly...
I used the equation d=v0*t+1/2a*t^2
so then d=20*.5-1/2*10*.5^2
d=8.75

so then I subtracted 8.75m from 35m and got 26.25m

It was wrong, then I thought 8.75 was it but that was wrong so I don't know what I did wrong. Could someone tell what I did wrong. I think it might of been the equation so I look for a problem like that in my book but couldn't find anything. Please someone help. Just the equation don't ruin the fun :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not take .5 seconds for the car to stop. You drive for another .5 seconds (or 10m) until you begin to stop. Since you know the speed and deceleration of the car, now use another equation: [tex]v_f^2 - v_i^2 =2 a d[/tex].

d=distance right? but then
vf-vi=2ad
0-20=2*-10*d
-20/-20=1=d
so d doesn't have any sign so it doesn't make since...

sorry being an idiot thank you it work just fine

Related to Deceleration (Driving a Car-Help)

1. What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity decreases. In the context of driving a car, it refers to the decrease in speed or the slowing down of the car.

2. How does deceleration affect my car's brakes?

Deceleration puts stress on your car's brakes as they are responsible for slowing down the car. Frequent deceleration can lead to wear and tear on your brakes and may require more frequent maintenance.

3. What factors affect deceleration while driving?

There are several factors that can affect deceleration while driving, such as the weight of the car, road conditions, and the condition of the brakes. For example, a heavier car will require more force to slow down, and wet or icy roads can decrease the effectiveness of braking.

4. How can I decrease deceleration while driving?

To decrease deceleration while driving, you can try to anticipate traffic and road conditions and adjust your speed accordingly. This can help you avoid sudden and frequent braking, which can put stress on your car's brakes. Additionally, maintaining your car's brakes and tires in good condition can also help decrease deceleration.

5. Is deceleration important for fuel efficiency?

Yes, deceleration is important for fuel efficiency. Frequent and sudden deceleration requires more fuel to accelerate again. By maintaining a steady speed and avoiding unnecessary deceleration, you can improve your car's fuel efficiency.