De Broglie wavelength of an electron

In summary, to find the de Broglie wavelength of an 8 MeV proton, we use the equation y = h/p, where y is the wavelength and p is the momentum. By using the given values of kinetic energy and rest mass, we can solve for the velocity and momentum of the proton. After plugging these values into the de Broglie wavelength equation and converting to nanometers, we get a final result of 1.133*10^-22 nm.
Oijl

Homework Statement

Find the de Broglie wavelength of an 8 MeV proton.

Homework Equations

y = h/p
where y is the wavelength
p = mv
K = Eo/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
where Eo is the rest mass and K is the kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I make the assumption that "an 8 MeV proton" is an proton with a kinetic energy of 8 MeV.

I know K = 8 MeV and Eo = 938.3 MeV. So I solve for v, get

v = sqrt(1 - (Eo/(K+Eo))^2)c = 0.1297554914c

I know m = 938.3 MeV/c^2. So I plug into p = mv and get

p = 121749577.6 eV/c

I know h = 4.136*10^-15 eV*s. So I plug into y = h/p and get

y = 3.397*10^-23 s*c

But I want nanometers, so since I know that c has units of m/s, I divide by the numerical value of c and multiply by 10^9 so that

y = 1.133*10^-22 nm

But this much too small, isn't it? Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
"I know m = 938.3 MeV/c^2. So I plug into p = mv and get

p = 121749577.6 eV/c"

I think you left out a "c".

ehild

Related to De Broglie wavelength of an electron

1. What is the De Broglie wavelength of an electron?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of an electron. It is calculated by dividing the Planck's constant by the momentum of the electron. The resulting value represents the wavelength of the electron.

2. How is the De Broglie wavelength related to the motion of an electron?

The De Broglie wavelength is directly related to the motion of an electron. It describes the wave-like nature of the electron and is used to understand its behavior in quantum mechanical systems.

3. What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength in quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie wavelength is significant in quantum mechanics because it helps explain the wave-particle duality of particles, including electrons. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanical systems.

4. Can the De Broglie wavelength of an electron be measured?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength can be measured using various experimental techniques. One common method is through electron diffraction, where the electron's wavelength is determined by the spacing of diffraction patterns produced by passing electrons through a thin material.

5. How does the De Broglie wavelength of an electron change in different situations?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron can change depending on the properties of the electron, such as its energy and momentum. It also varies in different quantum mechanical systems and environments, such as in the presence of electric or magnetic fields.