De Broglie wavelength in terms of accelerated potential difference

In summary, the de Broglie wavelength of an electron in terms of its potential difference V is given by the following equation: λ=h/p.
Von Neumann
Problem:

Derive a formula expressing the de Broglie wavelength (in Å) of an electron in terms of the potential difference V (in volts) through which it is accelerated.

Solution (so far):

The textbook's answer is the following,

[itex]\lambda=12.27[V(\frac{eV}{2m_{0}c^{2}}+1)]^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

I'm having some trouble getting there. I started by noting that if an electron is accelerated from rest through a potential difference V, it gains a kinetic energy

[itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}=eV[/itex]

So therefore,

[itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2eV}{m}}[/itex]

Since [itex]\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]\lambda=\frac{h}{\sqrt{2meV}}[/itex]

Also, [itex]\frac{h}{\sqrt{2me}}\approx 12.27 Å[/itex]

So I get, [itex]\lambda=\frac{12.27Å}{\sqrt{V}}[/itex]

I don't know where I went wrong. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Relativity?

voko said:
Relativity?

If I use the formula [itex]m=\frac{m_{0}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/itex] in [itex]\lambda=\frac{h}{\sqrt{2meV}}[/itex]

everything gets extremely complex and looks nothing like what the answer is supposed to look like. Can you be more specfic?

I think you should start by writing down the energy relativisticly.

voko said:
I think you should start by writing down the energy relativisticly.

[itex]\frac{m_{0}v^{2}}{2\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}=eV[/itex]

Is that what you mean?

In relativity, kinetic energy is [itex] T = \gamma mc^2 - mc^2 [/itex]. Momentum is [itex] \vec p = \gamma m \vec v [/itex], where [itex] \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/itex].

By the way, when I say [itex] m [/itex] here, I mean the same thing as [itex] m_0. [/itex] I don't distinguish "mass" from "relativistic mass". Most physicists don't these days. Mass is the rest mass, period. If you prefer, kinetic energy is [itex] T = \gamma m_0 c^2 - m_0 c^2 .[/itex]

[Edit: by the way, if you're curious, if you take the Taylor series expansion of [itex] \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} \right) m_0 c^2 - m_0 c^2 [/itex] around [itex] v \approx 0[/itex] you'll find that it reduces to the Newtonian [itex] \frac{1}{2} m_0 v^2 [/itex] for [itex] v [/itex] near 0. Neato.]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
By the way, when I say [itex] m [/itex] here, I mean the same thing as [itex] m_0. [/itex] I don't distinguish "mass" from "relativistic mass". Most physicists don't these days. Mass is the rest mass, period. If you prefer, kinetic energy is [itex] T = \gamma m_0 c^2 - m_0 c^2 .[/itex]

[Edit: by the way, if you're curious, if you take the Taylor series expansion of [itex] \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} \right) m_0 c^2 - m_0 c^2 [/itex] around [itex] v \approx 0[/itex] you'll find that it reduces to the Newtonian [itex] \frac{1}{2} m_0 v^2 [/itex] for [itex] v [/itex] near 0. Neato.]

I have no issue with you referring to rest mass as just mass - as long as it's clear to everyone to what you are referring. Why cause unneeded ambiguity (especially in a section of the forum aimed towards students seeking help, and looking to develop good physics practices)?

As for the problem I originally asked, if anyone is interested, I obtained the required solution by the following:

Begin with (pc)^2+(E_0)^2=E^2

Solve for p and substitute the result into the de Broglie wavelength equation λ=h/p.

Next, eliminate E by introducing kinetic energy, then use the fact that K=eV.

Simplify and be sure to express the constant quantity h/sqrt(2em_0) in angstroms (≈12.27Å).

No thanks to voko or collinsmark! - Just kidding, at least you tried to help. :biggrin:

Also, it's interesting to note the result reduces to the equation I derived first incorrectly in the event V << c^2.

My point (and I assume the same point voko was hinting toward), is "relativistic" mass is not used anymore. Instead, "invariant" mass is used, which is the same thing as the rest mass.

Kinetic energy:
[tex] T = (\gamma -1) mc^2 [/tex]

Total energy of the system:
[tex] E = \gamma mc^2 [/tex]

3-Momentum:
[tex] \vec p = \gamma m \vec v [/tex]

Relationship between 3-momentum and total energy of the system:
[tex] p^2 c^2 + m^2c^4 = E^2 [/tex]

And the mass [itex] m [/itex] is the invariant mass. If you wish to directly substitute [itex] m_0 [/itex] in for [itex] m [/itex], feel free to do so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity

Thanks for rewording what I already had stated!

I have solved it, like this

Related to De Broglie wavelength in terms of accelerated potential difference

What is the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle in motion. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that all particles, including matter, have a wave-like nature.

How is the De Broglie wavelength related to accelerated potential difference?

The De Broglie wavelength is related to accelerated potential difference through the equation: λ = h/p, where λ is the De Broglie wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle. Accelerated potential difference can affect the momentum of a particle, which in turn affects its De Broglie wavelength.

What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength in terms of quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie wavelength is significant in quantum mechanics because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that particles, such as electrons, have both particle-like and wave-like properties, and their behavior can be described using both classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

How does the De Broglie wavelength change with an increase in accelerated potential difference?

The De Broglie wavelength decreases with an increase in accelerated potential difference. This is because an increase in potential difference leads to an increase in the momentum of the particle, which results in a decrease in its De Broglie wavelength.

Can the De Broglie wavelength be observed in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength has been observed in various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. It is also utilized in modern technologies, such as electron microscopy and electron diffraction, which rely on the wave-like properties of particles.