De Broglie wavelength application: molecular vibrations?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the de Broglie wavelength of a molecular vibration and whether quantum or classical laws should be applied. The attempt at a solution involves using equations for wavelength, momentum, and energy, and considers the reduced mass and energy of a CO molecule. There is confusion about when de Broglie wavelengths apply and how to use the uncertainty principle in this situation. Ultimately, it is uncertain if the question makes sense and if de Broglie wavelengths can be applied to molecular vibrations.
mtmentat

Homework Statement

In his presentation of the de Broglie wavelength and the wave/particle duality, my quantum prof. has an exercise: "Find the de Broglie wavelength of a molecular vibration. Do quantum or classical laws apply?"

Homework Equations

wavelength = h/(momentum)
E=h*c*wavenumber*100
momentum = Sqrt( 2*reduced mass*E)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, a typical molecular vibration can be dreamed up to be 2100cm^-1 and involve C-triple bond-O stretching (I'm a chemistry student, if you hadn't noticed). This would involve an energy of ~4E-32J. However, if I think about it as a harmonic oscillator, I think that the the center of mass doesn't change, and that the overall momentum must be zero. If I think of it as some sort of very strange particle flying through space with that energy (using the reduced mass), I get a "momentum" of 3E-29 kg*m/s, which gives a de Broglie wavelength of 2E-5 m (and thus can be treated classically). I know that classical treatment is usually used for IR vibrations, and so this result makes sense, but the way I got there definitely doesn't. My prof. mentioned quickly that you can use the uncertainty principle to get at the momentum in the problem, but I'm don't see how that works. Please let me know if this exercise makes sense or not!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm lost. What is your criterion for classical-ness? I thought classical treatment required small de Broglie wavelengths. 2E-5 meter is huge.

Ha. Um... yes (and thanks), presbyope, you're quite correct about my dyslexia. I guess then that my non-method would suggest that the CO stretch would be best modeled using quantum mech.

I'm less concerned, however, with classification as with trying to figure out if there is any real way to apply de Broglie wavelength to a molecular vibration.

mtmentat said:
Ha. Um... yes (and thanks), presbyope, you're quite correct about my dyslexia. I guess then that my non-method would suggest that the CO stretch would be best modeled using quantum mech.

Great, now I'm not lost. But you are right that IR vibrations are usually modeled with classical mechanics. So that's odd.

I'm less concerned, however, with classification as with trying to figure out if there is any real way to apply de Broglie wavelength to a molecular vibration.

When we talk about light going through a slit, the wavelength is compared with the slit width (characteristic distance.) Small slits produce quantum effects. So can we treat the bond length as a "slit width" for the vibration? It should be about 1E-10 m.

When I do your calculations I get a wavelength somewhat smaller than the bond length (classical situation). I used the reduced mass of a carbon and oxygen pair. Is that what you meant by reduced mass?

So... I've gone back through my back-of-the envelope equations, and yes, using the reduced mass of carbon and oxygen (just for fun, 1E-26 kg) and the energy of the molecular vibration (5E-20 J), I can get a "momentum" of 3E-23 kg*m/s, leading to a de Broglie wavelength of about 20 pm. The bond length in CO is approx. 110pm (1E-10m is right on).

de Brolgie wavelength < bond length might point to classical mechanics, based on the length scale of the problem/slit width argument.

I am very unsure of the above method for getting at the de Broglie wavelength. This is the real problem, and I'm not sure if the question really makes sense at all. When do de Broglie wavelengths apply? I had thought that it mostly tied wave properties to matter, but I don't classify "molecular vibrations" as matter, leading me to be very confused.

Thanks for the comments so far!

mtmentat said:
I am very unsure of the above method for getting at the de Broglie wavelength. This is the real problem, and I'm not sure if the question really makes sense at all. When do de Broglie wavelengths apply? I had thought that it mostly tied wave properties to matter, but I don't classify "molecular vibrations" as matter, leading me to be very confused.

Thanks for the comments so far!

You're welcome. It is very puzzling. I'm still not sure how the uncertainty principle would help other than giving a upper bound for wavelength / lower bound for bond length. My notes talk about de Broglie wavelengths as describing matter waves (things with mass and kinetic energy.) The de Broglie wavelength of an object at rest is infinite.

Your CO molecule has kinetic energy: 3 modes translational and 2 modes rotational. When you expose it to IR 2 more modes appear, vibrational kinetic energy and potential energy (like a spring.) Since we're in the center of mass frame, ignore the other modes of kinetic energy and consider the molecule's mass and vibrational kinetic energy. The question was phrased oddly, I agree.

Related to De Broglie wavelength application: molecular vibrations?

1. What is the De Broglie wavelength and how is it related to molecular vibrations?

The De Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles. It is calculated by dividing the Planck's constant by the momentum of the particle. In molecular vibrations, the De Broglie wavelength is used to describe the wavelength of the molecular vibrations, which can help determine the energy levels and frequencies of the vibrations.

2. How is the De Broglie wavelength used in spectroscopy?

The De Broglie wavelength is used in spectroscopy to study the molecular vibrations of a substance. By analyzing the wavelengths of the electromagnetic radiation absorbed or emitted by the substance, scientists can determine the De Broglie wavelength and use it to calculate the energy levels and frequencies of the molecular vibrations.

3. Can the De Broglie wavelength be used to study all types of molecular vibrations?

No, the De Broglie wavelength is mainly used to study the vibrational motion of molecules with low masses, such as gases and small molecules. It is not as useful for studying the vibrational motion of larger molecules, such as proteins or polymers.

4. How does the temperature affect the De Broglie wavelength of molecular vibrations?

As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, which leads to an increase in their momentum. This results in a decrease in the De Broglie wavelength of the molecular vibrations. In other words, as temperature increases, the vibrational frequency of the molecules increases.

5. Can the De Broglie wavelength be used to determine the structure of a molecule?

No, the De Broglie wavelength is not directly used to determine the structure of a molecule. It is primarily used to study the energy levels and frequencies of molecular vibrations. However, the information obtained from studying the De Broglie wavelength can be combined with other techniques to help determine the structure of a molecule.