DC Current: RA1, RA2, RA3, I1, I2, I3

In summary, the question asks for the value of current in a circuit when the ammeter has zero resistance, which can be found using Ohm's law. The values of current measured with ammeters of 100mΩ and 50mΩ resistance are given as 12 A and 15 A respectively. Using the given values and Ohm's law, the value of current with a zero resistance ammeter is calculated to be 20 A.
gruba
members are reminded that your thread titles must be accurate and descriptive of the topic under discussion

Homework Statement

When direct current is measured with ammeter of resistance RA1=100mΩ, current is I1=12 A. When direct current is measured with ammeter of resistance RA1=50mΩ, current is I2=15 A. What is the value of current if there is no ammeter (RA3=0)?

Homework Equations

Ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting that I3=18 A. The result should be 20 A.

Could someone check this?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get 18 A?
It is hard to find a mistake if you don't show your work, but here is a guess: using your approach, what would you expect for an amperemeter with a resistance of 1 Ohm? Is that result realistic? If not, something is wrong with the approach.

gruba said:

Homework Statement

When direct current is measured with ammeter of resistance RA1=100mΩ, current is I1=12 A. When direct current is measured with ammeter of resistance RA1=50mΩ, current is I2=15 A. What is the value of current if there is no ammeter (RA3=0)?

Homework Equations

Ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting that I3=18 A. The result should be 20 A.

Could someone check this?
What electrical circuit have you sketched to use as a model for the unknown circuit where you are trying to measure current?

NascentOxygen said:
What electrical circuit have you sketched to use as a model for the unknown circuit where you are trying to measure current?

In the question, circuit is irrelevant.

gruba said:
Show how you worked out your answer, then.

gruba said:

whenever you have a physical problem, unless it is trivial, it is always a good idea to make a sketch.

+1 to that. Not sure I could do it without making a sketch diagram but then I'm old.

Related to DC Current: RA1, RA2, RA3, I1, I2, I3

What is DC current?

DC current is a type of electric current that flows in one direction, unlike AC current which alternates direction.

What are RA1, RA2, RA3, I1, I2, and I3?

These are symbols representing different resistors and current values in a circuit. RA1, RA2, and RA3 are resistors, while I1, I2, and I3 are current values.

How do you calculate DC current?

DC current is calculated by dividing the voltage by the resistance in a circuit. The formula is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

What is the unit of measurement for DC current?

The unit of measurement for DC current is amperes (A), which represents the rate of flow of electric charge.

What is the difference between DC current and AC current?

The main difference between DC current and AC current is the direction of flow. DC current flows in one direction, while AC current alternates direction. Additionally, DC current is typically used for low voltage and constant power devices, while AC current is used for high voltage and variable power devices.