DB loss for a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through 2 meters of a medium

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation for the dB loss of a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through 2 meters of a medium with a dielectric constant of 1.5 and a loss tangent of 9E-4. The speaker states they are unsure of the solution and their attempt at a solution involved a decibel loss of 6*10^6, which they believe is incorrect. They mention that the wave number and EM loss are proportional to the frequency and suggest referencing Wikipedia's page on Loss Tangent for more information.
KingNothing

Homework Statement

What is the dB loss for a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through 2 meters of a medium with ϵ=1.5ϵ_0 and loss tangent = 9E-4?

Homework Equations

Umm...I'm actually not sure. I can't find anything really relating these things at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt involved a decibel loss of about 6*10^6, so that can't be anywhere close to right. Every equation I see shows the wave number k being proportional to the frequency, and the EM loss being proportional to k.

Physics news on Phys.org
KingNothing said:

Homework Statement

What is the dB loss for a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through 2 meters of a medium with ϵ=1.5ϵ_0 and loss tangent = 9E-4?

Homework Equations

Umm...I'm actually not sure. I can't find anything really relating these things at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt involved a decibel loss of about 6*10^6, so that can't be anywhere close to right. Every equation I see shows the wave number k being proportional to the frequency, and the EM loss being proportional to k.

I think wikipedia's page on Loss Tangent will help you out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_tangent

Related to DB loss for a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through 2 meters of a medium

1. What is the formula for calculating DB loss for a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through 2 meters of a medium?

The formula for calculating DB loss is: DB loss = 20log(d/λ), where d is the distance traveled through the medium and λ is the wavelength of the EM wave.

2. How does the medium affect the DB loss of a 3GHZ EM wave?

The medium through which the EM wave travels can affect the DB loss in several ways. For example, a denser medium may cause more scattering and absorption of the wave, resulting in a higher DB loss.

3. Is there a difference in DB loss for a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through different types of media?

Yes, different types of media can have varying levels of DB loss when an EM wave travels through them. This is due to differences in the density, composition, and other physical properties of the medium.

4. How does the distance traveled through the medium affect the DB loss of a 3GHZ EM wave?

The distance traveled through the medium is directly related to the DB loss of a 3GHZ EM wave. As the distance increases, the DB loss also increases, following the inverse square law.

5. Can DB loss be completely eliminated for a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through 2 meters of a medium?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate DB loss for a 3GHZ EM wave traveling through 2 meters of a medium. However, using techniques such as amplification and proper shielding can minimize the DB loss and improve the signal quality.