Data type conversion in matlab

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a row vector of a matrix in MATLAB into a binary number and then converting that binary number into a base ten one. The formula and functions used for this conversion are also mentioned.
xentity1x
I'm writing a program in matlab. I have a matrix whose entries are all ones and zeros. I want to convert each row vector of the matrix into a binary number whose digits are the entries of the vector. So for example if an arbitrary row of the matrix was [1, 0, 1, 1], I would like to convert it into the binary number 1011. How would I go about doing that? My end goal is to convert that binary number into a base ten one, but I already know how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it could be done by using the following simple formula:
[tex]nbr=\sum_{i=1}^{N}a_{i}10^{N-i}[/tex]

where a_i are the elements of the vector and N is the dimension.

In case you have numeric (double integer) valued matrix components, then you can use the following MATLAB conversion:

B=dec2bin(A);

then back to double integer you can convert using:
C=bin2dec(B); % NB: You will loose however decimal pointsHopefully that helps you.

Related to Data type conversion in matlab

1. What is data type conversion in MATLAB?

Data type conversion in MATLAB is the process of changing the data type of a variable from one type to another. This is necessary when performing operations or functions that require input of a specific data type.

2. How do I convert a variable to a different data type in MATLAB?

To convert a variable to a different data type in MATLAB, you can use the built-in functions such as double() for converting to double precision, int8() for converting to 8-bit signed integer, or logical() for converting to logical data type.

3. Can I convert a string to a number in MATLAB?

Yes, you can convert a string to a number in MATLAB using the str2num() function. This function will remove any non-numeric characters from the string and return the corresponding number.

4. What happens if I try to convert a variable to an incompatible data type in MATLAB?

If you try to convert a variable to an incompatible data type in MATLAB, it will result in an error. For example, trying to convert a string to a logical data type will result in an error since a string cannot be represented as a logical value.

5. Is there a way to check the data type of a variable in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use the class() function to check the data type of a variable in MATLAB. This function will return the name of the class of the variable, such as double, char, or logical.