ΔAmplitude of wave on rope with a change in linear density

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the linear density of a rope and the amplitude of a wave traveling on it. It is assumed that if the linear density changes by a factor of k, the amplitude would change by a factor of \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}, as long as tension and frequency remain fixed. The question also explores the possibility of a reflected wave when the medium changes density, and whether the frequency of the reflected wave would be the same as the original wave. The conversation also considers the limiting case where the new medium has a very large mass, and how it would affect the power distribution and the creation of a partially standing wave. Lastly, the conversation raises the question of what would happen if the density of the
Nathanael
Homework Helper
Would it be correct to assume that if the linear density of a rope changes by a factor of [itex]k[/itex], then the amplitude of a wave traveling on the rope would change by a factor of [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}[/itex]? (Assuming tension and frequency are fixed.)
I get this by assuming the average power of the wave is unchanged by the change in linear density (and also because the average power depends on the square the amplitude and the linear density).

This is essentially what I'm wondering:
If the linear density ([itex]\mu[/itex]) varies with the position ([itex]x[/itex]) as described by some function, [itex]\mu(x)[/itex], then would the amplitude ([itex]A[/itex]) as a function of [itex]x[/itex] be [itex]A(x)=A_0\sqrt{\frac{\mu(0)}{\mu(x)}}[/itex] ?
(Again, assuming tension and frequency are fixed.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You also need to consider that part of the wave will be reflected where the medium changes density. If you think about the limiting case where the new medium has a very large mass, it will essentially act as if the lighter part was fixed in a wall. Most of the power would then go into the reflected wave.

Orodruin said:
You also need to consider that part of the wave will be reflected where the medium changes density.
Would the frequency of the reflected wave and that of the wave that moves along the denser part be the same? (If this is true, is the reason for it's truth related to the idea that the two rope densities have a 'common point'?)

Orodruin said:
If you think about the limiting case where the new medium has a very large mass, it will essentially act as if the lighter part was fixed in a wall.
What if the wave is traveling from a higher density to a lower density? A wave would still be reflected? Would the limiting case (as the density goes to zero) then be as if it were fixed to a frictionless ring? (A "free end" is what I think my book called it.) Then, the smaller the density of the second part, the more power would go into reflected wave?

Orodruin said:
If you think about the limiting case where the new medium has a very large mass, it will essentially act as if the lighter part was fixed in a wall. Most of the power would then go into the reflected wave.
I haven't been able to see any way of determining how the power is distributed based on the relative density. Any insight?

If I were to continuously generate a wave, and then it were to cross some point where the density changes, part of it being reflected and part of it continuing on; would I then be creating a 'partially standing' wave? That is, would there be 'semi-nodes' where the amplitude never gets bigger than some limit? (The limit of the amplitude of the "semi-node" would depend on how much power is reflected.)

What if the density of a rope varied linearly, [[itex]\mu (x)=\mu_0+kx[/itex]] then what would you be able to say about a wave traveling along that rope?

Would it be as if a wave of increasing power are continuously being reflected? (But if that's so, and if I was right about waves reflecting when the density suddenly decreases, then wou have something like waves reflecting back and forth everywhere. That could either drastically confuse things or drastically simplify things; either way, I'm drastically curious.)

I cannot confirm the accuracy of the proposed relationship between the change in linear density and the change in amplitude. While it is true that the average power of the wave is dependent on the amplitude and linear density, the specific relationship between these two variables is not as straightforward as \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}. It would depend on the specific properties of the rope, such as its elasticity and stiffness, as well as the type of wave traveling on the rope.

Furthermore, the assumption that the average power remains unchanged may not always hold true. For example, if the change in linear density results in a change in tension in the rope, then the average power may also change. In this case, the relationship between the change in linear density and the change in amplitude would be even more complex.

In general, it is not safe to make assumptions about the relationship between different variables in a scientific context without proper experimental evidence or theoretical models to support them. Therefore, it would be incorrect to assume that a change in linear density by a factor of k would result in a change in amplitude by a factor of \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}. More research and analysis would be needed to accurately determine the relationship between these variables.

Related to ΔAmplitude of wave on rope with a change in linear density

What is the meaning of "ΔAmplitude of wave on rope with a change in linear density"?

The "ΔAmplitude of wave on rope with a change in linear density" refers to the change in the maximum displacement (amplitude) of a wave traveling through a rope when the linear density of the rope is altered.

How is the linear density of a rope related to the amplitude of a wave traveling through it?

The linear density of a rope, which is the mass per unit length, has a direct effect on the amplitude of a wave traveling through it. An increase in linear density will result in a decrease in amplitude, and vice versa.

What factors can cause a change in the linear density of a rope?

The linear density of a rope can be changed by altering the mass of the rope or the length of the rope. For example, adding or removing weight from the rope, or cutting the rope into smaller pieces, can change its linear density.

How does a change in linear density affect the speed of a wave on a rope?

A change in linear density does not directly affect the speed of a wave on a rope. The speed of a wave on a rope is determined by the tension in the rope and the mass per unit length, which is the linear density. Therefore, a change in linear density can indirectly affect the speed of a wave on a rope.

What is the mathematical relationship between the amplitude of a wave on a rope and the linear density of the rope?

The relationship between the amplitude (A) and linear density (μ) of a rope is given by the equation A ∝ 1/√μ. This means that the amplitude is inversely proportional to the square root of the linear density. As the linear density increases, the amplitude decreases, and vice versa.