Damped Harmonic Oscillator Using Greens Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the response function of a damped harmonic oscillator given a forcing function. The equation of motion and the method of undetermined coefficients are mentioned as possible approaches to finding the solution. The use of Green's theorem is also brought up as a potential method for solving the differential equation.
dacruick
Hi there,

I just started an intermediate classical mechanics course at university and was smacked upside the head with this question that I don't know how to even start.

Homework Statement

We are to find the response function of a damped harmonic oscillator given a Forcing function. The forcing function for t>0 is
F(t) = F(0)exp(-λt)*sin(wt)

where λ is a constant, F(0) is the initial force, w is the angular frequency, and t is time.

Homework Equations

The equation of motion of a damped harmonic oscillator which I believe to be
x'' + 2bx' + wo2x = F(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really even attempted this solution. I've been looking online for a direction, and I saw one example that told me to guess a particular solution based on the forcing functions proportionality to eiwt. It doesn't tell me why I should be doing that, and to be honest, I don't even really understand what Greens theorem is.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you had a course in differential equations? You have a linear equation with constant coefficients. It's straightforward to solve using the method of undetermined coefficients. So you should be able to find the solution even if it's not using the method you're supposed to.

Am I right in assuming when you refer to Green's theorem, you mean that you're supposed to find the solution to the differential equation by finding the Green's function for the linear operator?

Related to Damped Harmonic Oscillator Using Greens Theorem

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a system that experiences harmonic motion, but with a damping force that reduces the amplitude of the oscillations over time. In other words, it is a system that oscillates back and forth, but gradually loses energy and eventually comes to a stop.

2. How is Green's theorem used in damped harmonic oscillators?

Green's theorem is a mathematical tool that relates a line integral around a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. In the context of damped harmonic oscillators, Green's theorem allows us to calculate the work done by the damping force over one complete cycle of oscillation.

3. What is the significance of the damping coefficient in a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient, often denoted by the symbol "b", represents the strength of the damping force in a damped harmonic oscillator. It determines how quickly the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time. A higher damping coefficient means the system will come to a stop more quickly, while a lower damping coefficient means the oscillations will persist for a longer period of time.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the frequency of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient does not directly affect the frequency of a damped harmonic oscillator. However, a higher damping coefficient will cause the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease more quickly, which can result in a slight decrease in the frequency over time.

5. Can Green's theorem be used to analyze all types of damped harmonic oscillators?

No, Green's theorem can only be applied to certain types of damped harmonic oscillators that have a closed form solution. It cannot be used for more complex systems, such as those with non-linear damping forces or external driving forces.