Damped harmonic oscillator, no clue

In summary, the problem involves a ball with a mass of 20 kg undergoing damped harmonic motion, represented by the equation m*∂^2(x)+R*∂x+K*x=0. The initial conditions are x(0)=1 and v(0)=0. The task is to calculate the values of K and R given that v(1)=0.5 and v(2)=0.3. There are two possible cases, underdamped and overdamped, which can be determined by the value of ζ. The solution involves solving a system of equations, but there may not be a simpler way to do so.
Smity

Homework Statement

I have a ball of 20 kg describing a damped harmonic movement, ie,
m*∂^2(x)+R*∂x+K*x=0,
with m=mass, R=resistance, K=spring constant.
The initial position is x(0)=1, the initial velocity is v(0)=0.
Knowing that v(1)=0.5, v(2)=0.3, I have to calculate K and R.

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that if R^2 < 4*m*K, the solution with x(0)=1 and v(0)=0 is such that:
∂x(t)=exp(-R/(2*m)*t)*[-(R/(2*m)^2)/(√[K/m-(R/(2*m))^2])-√[K/m-(R/(2*m))^2]]*sin(√[K/m-(R/(2*m))^2]*t), and I solve the sistem of equations, but it has to be a simpler way to do it (and also I don't use the mass of the ball)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, realize that you may have an underdamped or overdamped system. The criterion for underdamped is ζ < 1. For this case, rewrite your equation as follows: (m/K)x" + (R/K)x' + x = 0

Let
m/K = 1/ω12
R/K = 2ζ/ω1
so your equation becomes, in "standard" form,
(1/ω12) x'' + 2ζ/ω1 x' + x = 0
with initial condition x(0+) = 1
with solution

x(t) = ω12exp[(-ζω1t/√(1-ζ2)] sin[ω1√(1-ζ2)t + ψ],
where ψ = arc tan √(1-ζ2)/(-ζ).

This is the solution of the "standardized" equation above.
Now take (d/dt) of this to get x'(t),
then impose x'(1) = 0.5 and x'(2) = 0.3.

If you succed in getting positive real numbers for R and K you are done.

But it's possible you may have an overdamped (or critically damped) case, in which case rewrite your equation as

T1T2 x'' + (T1 + T2) x' + x = 0
for which the solution would be

1/T1T2(T1 - T2) [T1exp(-t/T2) - T2exp(-t/T1)].

Again, take x'(t) from that and force the two conditions on x'(1) and x'(2).

You have some messy math ahead of you and I don't see a simple way to avoid it unless you can find a pre-cooked solution somewhere. I don't know any such place.

Related to Damped harmonic oscillator, no clue

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a physical system in which a mass is attached to a spring and experiences a resistive force that is proportional to its velocity, leading to a decrease in amplitude over time.

2. How does damping affect the behavior of a harmonic oscillator?

Damping has a significant impact on the motion of a harmonic oscillator. It causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time and leads to a decrease in the frequency of the oscillations.

3. What is the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator can be written as: m * d^2x/dt^2 + b * dx/dt + kx = 0, where m is the mass, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. What is the difference between an underdamped, overdamped, and critically damped harmonic oscillator?

An underdamped harmonic oscillator is one in which the damping force is less than the critical value, causing the oscillations to gradually decrease in amplitude. An overdamped harmonic oscillator is one in which the damping force is greater than the critical value, leading to a slow convergence to the equilibrium position. A critically damped harmonic oscillator is one in which the damping force is equal to the critical value, resulting in the fastest convergence to the equilibrium position.

5. Can a damped harmonic oscillator exhibit oscillatory behavior?

Yes, a damped harmonic oscillator can still exhibit oscillations, but the amplitude of the oscillations will decrease over time due to the damping force. The system will eventually reach a steady state where the amplitude remains constant, but the oscillations continue at a lower frequency.