Dachshund: Weiner Dog or Sad Drunk?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, yesterday a friend of a friend got herself a dachshund and they called it a weiner dog. Some people think that this is a mistake because the word "weiner" is associated with sadness and drunkenness, but others think that this is a clever joke because the word "wiener" is the German version of the word "einstein" and the word "wein" is wine.
Andre
Yesterday a friend of a friend got herself a dachshund and they called it a weiner dog.

I was slightly surprised. I could image a wiener dog, but weiner? I realize that there is not a lot of difference in the ei from Einstein and the ie from Einstien, but not so in the German or Dutch language.

Wien (pronounce Wean) is the German version of the capital of Austria, Vienna. The wiener saucage, resembling the dog, comes from here. Hence the name Wiener.

Wein is wine, pronounciation nearly the same. Also, 'Weinen' is to whine; also almost identical pronounciation.

And I googled "wiener dog" 1,060,000 hits versus "weiner dog", 773,000 hits. So the correct version version is still in the lead, but for how long?

But how got this dog associated with a sad drunk?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a sausage dog, not a wine dog. Did your friends really mean wine when they said it? Maybe they are confused?

Ms Music said:
It is a sausage dog, not a wine dog. Did your friends really mean wine when they said it? Maybe they are confused?

I believe OP is joking. :smile:

I don't have any good experiences of Dachshunds. This seems a resonable explanation of their behaviour IMO.
Q. Why do Dachshunds always bite your ankles?
A. Because they are too short to reach anything higher.

I guess it's the way how you pronounce Einstein and Einstien, I guess.

Oh and it's one of the tragic mistakes to think that Dachshunds are small. Also for Staffordshires by the way, I know one of them too well. They are not small at all. The're sure that they easily beat a Dobermann, paws down. Their rather modest posture is a big mistake. They love to demonstrate that by looking at you at your eye level, every other second that is, in between when gravity and the missing leg length pulls them down again temporarely.

Andre said:
They love to demonstrate that by looking at you at your eye level, every other second that is, in between when gravity and the missing leg length pulls them down again temporarely.

Oh...
MY...
WORD!

*giggling fit starts*

So true!

:smile:

Andre said:
Also for Staffordshires by the way, I know one of them too well. They are not small at all. The're sure that they easily beat a Dobermann, paws down.

Only a Dobernamm? There's a reason why Staffys are called bull terriers :wink:

Are you sure they weren't referring to it as a whine dog? I've known lots of those, they come in all breeds.

If you looked like a sausage, were bred for no brains, and to chase vermin down their holes you might also become a wino. Hence the confusion. Next time you see a wiener dog offer it a nice German beer. It's a rough life, but it's not like they can trade up.

lisab said:
Are you sure they weren't referring to it as a whine dog? I've known lots of those, they come in all breeds.

Nein, Niemals werden Wieners weinen :-p They may demand, harass, nag, annoy, scold, whatever but they never wein. Weinmaraners can whine.

Last edited:
Andre said:
Weinmaraners can whine.

It is not nice to see the name of Weimar, the city of Goethe, being spoiled for a cheap gag. :wink:

However, if there is some dog who has any reason to whine because of its dumb name, it is the Hannoverscher Schweißhund (Hanover sweat dog). But maybe after a few bottles of wine, it may become a hangover sweat dog...

Cthugha said:
It is not nice to see the name of Weimar, the city of Goethe, being spoiled for a cheap gag. :wink:...

Oh please accept my apologies for my audacity to Johann W... :rolleyes: :biggrin: Yes the thread is getting more and more about a real Wolf gang

Last edited:
Andre said:
Oh please accept my apologies for my audacity to Johann W... :rolleyes: :biggrin: Yes the thread is getting more and more about a real Wolf gang

Ah that made me howl :biggrin:

Related to Dachshund: Weiner Dog or Sad Drunk?

1. What is the history of the Dachshund breed?

The Dachshund breed originated in Germany in the 15th century, where they were bred to hunt badgers. Their long, low bodies and powerful legs made them well-suited for this task.

2. Is the term "Weiner Dog" offensive?

Some people may find the term "Weiner Dog" offensive, as it can be seen as derogatory or belittling. It is best to refer to the breed by their proper name, Dachshund, to avoid causing offense.

3. Are Dachshunds prone to any health issues?

Yes, Dachshunds are prone to a few health issues, including back problems due to their long spines. They are also at risk for obesity, dental issues, and joint problems. It's important to keep them at a healthy weight and take them for regular check-ups at the vet.

4. Do Dachshunds make good family pets?

Dachshunds can make great family pets, but they may not be the best choice for families with young children. They have a tendency to be protective and may not tolerate rough play. However, with proper socialization and training, they can make wonderful and loving companions.

5. Why are Dachshunds sometimes referred to as "Sad Drunks"?

The term "Sad Drunk" is often used to describe the appearance of a Dachshund's droopy, sad-looking eyes. This could also be a reference to their stubborn and independent nature, which can sometimes lead to mischief and disobedience.

Back