Cylindrical potential problem using Bessel functions

In summary, a thin, flat disc of conducting material with a radius smaller than a circular hole in an infinite, thin, plane sheet of the same material is maintained at a fixed potential V while the sheet is at zero potential. The potential at any point above the plane can be expressed as a series involving Bessel functions, where the coefficients can be found by integrating both sides of the equation and using properties of Bessel functions. More information and examples can be found in Jackson's Electrodynamics.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Jackson 3.12: An infinite, thin, plane sheet of conducting material has a circular hole of radius a cut in it. A thin, flat disc of the same material and slightly smaller radius lies in the plane, filling the hole, but separted from the sheet by a very narrow insulating ring. The disc is maintained at a fixed potential V, while the infinite hseet is kept at zero potential.

a) Using appropriate cylindrical coordinates, find an intergral expression involving Bessel functions for the potential at any point above the plane.

Attempt!

So considering there is no[tex]\phi[/tex] dependence, I know the potential [tex]\Phi = Z(z)R(\rho)\Phi(\phi)[/tex] reduces down to 2 equations: [tex]Z(z) = Asinh(kz) + Bcosh(kz)[/tex] and [tex]R(\rho) = CJ(k\rho) + DN(k\rho)[/tex].

By the fact that V is finite at [tex]\rho = 0[/tex], D = 0.

So the solution looks like

[tex]\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {(A_{mn} \sinh (k_{mn} z) + B_{mn} (\cosh (k_{mn} z))J_m (k_{mn} \rho )} } [/tex] where [tex]k_{mn} = \frac{x_{mn}}{a}[/tex] where [tex]x_{mn}[/tex] is the n-th root for the m-th Bessel function.

At z=0, I have

[tex] V_0 = \sum\limits_{m=0}^\infty{\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty{B_{mn}J_m(k_{mn}\rho)}[/tex]. At this point, i integrate both sides by [tex]
\int_0^a {\rho J_m (k_{mn'} \rho )d\rho } [/tex] and get:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\int_0^a {V_0 J_m (k_{mn'} \rho )\rho d\rho = } \int\limits_0^a {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {B_{mn} J_m (k_{mn} \rho )J_m (k_{mn'} \rho )\rho d\rho } } } \\
\int_0^a {V_0 J_m (k_{mn'} \rho )\rho d\rho = } \frac{1}{2}\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {B_{mn} |J_{m + 1} (k_{mn} )|^2 \delta _{nn'} } } \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Now I'm quite new to Bessel functions so at this point, I'm not sure what to do. It seems like I still have one series on the right and a number on the left. I ran the left side through mathematica and it said it was simply [tex]V_0[/tex] but I don't know enough about Bessel functions to tell if that's right or not. Any tips or problems to be pointed out would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yah that doesn't really help at all. He just immediately goes to the integral form and drops a summation which considering how the general solution is formed for these types of problems, doesn't make too much sense.

Related to Cylindrical potential problem using Bessel functions

What is a cylindrical potential problem using Bessel functions?

A cylindrical potential problem using Bessel functions is a mathematical method used to solve for the electric potential in a cylindrical coordinate system. This is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems such as cylindrical conductors, antennas, and waveguides.

Why are Bessel functions used in this type of problem?

Bessel functions are used in this type of problem because they are a type of special function that is well suited for solving partial differential equations in cylindrical coordinates. They also have important physical interpretations in terms of the distribution of electric potential and current in cylindrical systems.

What are the key steps in solving a cylindrical potential problem using Bessel functions?

The key steps in solving a cylindrical potential problem using Bessel functions include setting up the appropriate boundary conditions for the system, solving the Laplace's equation using separation of variables, and then using Bessel functions to solve for the radial and azimuthal components of the electric potential. Finally, the solution is combined to get the total potential.

Are there any limitations to using Bessel functions in this type of problem?

Yes, there are limitations to using Bessel functions in this type of problem. Bessel functions can only be used for systems with circular symmetry and cannot be used for systems with other geometries. Additionally, the solutions may become complex and difficult to interpret for more complex systems.

What are some real-world applications of solving cylindrical potential problems using Bessel functions?

Cylindrical potential problems using Bessel functions have many real-world applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include modeling the electric potential in cylindrical conductors, calculating the radiation pattern of antennas, and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves in waveguides.