Cylinder with uniform magnetization

In summary, the conversation discusses the divergence of a uniform magnetization M parallel to the axis of a short circular cylinder. The book contradicts the result found for the cylinder, stating that the divergence of M must not vanish. This is due to the discontinuity of the magnetization at the boundary of the cylinder, which leads to a boundary condition for the magnetic field. The solution can be obtained using the scalar magnetic potential and the Green's function of the Laplace operator. A more detailed explanation can be found in Sommerfeld's Lectures on Theoretical Physics.
aaaa202
A short circular cylinder carries a uniform magnetization M parallel to its axis.
I want to know what the divergence of M is. Using divergence in cylindrical coordinates I get that ∇[itex]\bullet[/itex]M = 0.

Now I was pretty sure of this result until I read the following in my book:

"∇[itex]\bullet[/itex]H = -∇[itex]\bullet[/itex]M only when the divergence of M vanishes. If you think I'm being pedantic consider the example of a bar magnet - a short cylinder of iron that carries a permanent uniform magnetization M parallel to its axis. In this case there is no free current anywhere, which can lead you to use the above formula. This is however not correct since the divergence of M does not vanish."

This is obviously in disagreement with what I found for the short cylinder - can anyone explain what is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start from the macroscopic Maxwell equations for magnetostatics. You always have (in Heaviside Lorentz units)

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H}=\vec{j}.\qquad (1)[/tex]

In our case we have [itex]\vec{j}=0[/itex]. The connection between [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{H}[/itex] is given by

[tex]\vec{B}=\vec{H}+\vec{M}. \qquad (2)[/tex]

In your case you have

[tex]\vec{M}=\begin{cases}
\vec{M}_0=\text{const} & \text{inside the cylinder}\\
0 & \text{outside the cylinder}
\end{cases}
[/tex]

From (1) and (2) you indeed get

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{H}=-\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{M}=0[/tex]

inside the cylinder and outside the cylinder. However you have a discontinuity of the magnetization at the boundary of the cylinder. Thus, at the boundary you have to translate the source freeness of [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] to the integral form, leading to the boundary condition

[tex]\vec{n} \cdot (\vec{B}_{>}-\vec{B}_{<} )=0[/tex]

along the surface of the cylinder. Here [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] is the usual surface-normal vector pointing out of the cylinder, and [itex]\vec{B}_{>}[/itex] ([itex]\vec{B}_{<}[/itex]) is the limit of the field when going to the cylinder surface from outside (from inside).

For [itex]\vec{H}[/itex], using (2) you get

[tex]\vec{n} \cdot (\vec{H}_{>}-\vec{H}_{<} )=-\vec{n} \cdot (\vec{M}_{>}-\vec{M}_{<})=+\vec{n} \cdot \vec{M}_0.[/tex]

Now you can solve for [itex]\vec{H}[/itex] using the scalar magnetic potential and using the Green's function of the Laplace opertor.

A very good discussion of this problem can be found in

Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 3.

Related to Cylinder with uniform magnetization

What is a cylinder with uniform magnetization?

A cylinder with uniform magnetization is a cylindrical object that has a consistent magnetic field throughout its entire volume. This means that the magnetic field strength and direction are the same at every point within the cylinder.

What is the purpose of a cylinder with uniform magnetization?

A cylinder with uniform magnetization can be used in various applications such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic sensors. It is also commonly used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of magnetic fields.

How is a cylinder with uniform magnetization created?

A cylinder with uniform magnetization can be created by exposing a cylindrical object to a strong external magnetic field. This causes the magnetic domains within the object to align in the same direction, resulting in a uniform magnetization.

Can the strength of the magnetic field in a cylinder with uniform magnetization be changed?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field in a cylinder with uniform magnetization can be changed by altering the external magnetic field or by manipulating the material properties of the cylinder. For example, changing the temperature or applying mechanical stress can affect the magnetic properties of the cylinder.

What factors can affect the uniformity of magnetization in a cylinder?

The uniformity of magnetization in a cylinder can be affected by the material properties of the cylinder, the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, and any external factors such as temperature or stress. The shape and dimensions of the cylinder can also play a role in the uniformity of magnetization.