Cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts

ENDMENT: In summary, the question involves a horizontal cylinder with a piston, spring, and air. The initial diameter of the piston is 10cm, spring force is 80KN/m, initial volume is 1L, and initial pressure is 150kPa. After air is let into the cylinder, the volume increases to 1.5L and the temperature is 80*C. The task is to find the final pressure and mass of the air. Using the equations F=kx, F=P/a, PV=mRT, and Pv=RT, the change in length of the spring can be determined to find the final pressure. Then, using the ideal gas law PV=nRT, the number of moles and mass of
jmets13
I have a question with a horizontal cylinder with a piston attached to a spring inside the cylinder. air is then let into the cylinder and the spring contracts increasing the volume. the diameter of the piston is given (10cm), the spring force is given (80KN/m), the initial volume is given (1L) and the initial pressure is 150kPa. the final volume and temperature is given as well, (1.5L) and (80*C). the question asks to find the final pressure and mass after the air has been let into the cylinder.
I know that F=kx F=P/a PV=mRT and Pv=RT, But i can't figure out how to manipulate these equations to solve for the pressure or the mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmets13 said:
I have a question with a horizontal cylinder with a piston attached to a spring inside the cylinder. air is then let into the cylinder and the spring contracts increasing the volume. the diameter of the piston is given (10cm), the spring force is given (80KN/m), the initial volume is given (1L) and the initial pressure is 150kPa. the final volume and temperature is given as well, (1.5L) and (80*C). the question asks to find the final pressure and mass after the air has been let into the cylinder.
I know that F=kx F=P/a PV=mRT and Pv=RT, But i can't figure out how to manipulate these equations to solve for the pressure or the mass.
Find the change in length of the spring. Final pressure is determined from the spring force at that extension.

Use: PV = nRT to then determine n and from that the mass of the air.

AM

Related to Cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts

1. What is a cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts?

A cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts is a device that is used to convert air pressure into mechanical energy. It consists of a cylindrical chamber with a movable piston and a spring that contracts as air is forced into the chamber.

2. How does a cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts work?

When air is pumped into the chamber of the cylinder, it pushes against the piston, causing it to move. As the piston moves, the spring attached to it contracts, storing potential energy. When the air is released from the chamber, the spring expands, releasing the stored energy and causing the piston to move back to its original position.

3. What are the applications of a cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts?

A cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts is commonly used in pneumatic systems, such as air compressors and pneumatic tools. It can also be used in mechanical systems to convert air pressure into linear or rotary motion.

4. How is a cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts different from a regular cylinder?

The main difference between a cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts and a regular cylinder is the presence of a spring. The spring allows for the conversion of air pressure into mechanical energy, making the cylinder more versatile and efficient.

5. What are the advantages of using a cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts?

Some advantages of using a cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts include its simplicity, low cost, and high efficiency. It also does not require any external power source, making it a reliable option for various applications.